• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North West Codling Bonanza on the Mersey

Merlin 335

Reaction score
As the Fylde coast hasn't been fishing well recently due to the weather, I decided this weekend to head over to the Mersey to try to catch some codling. The mark I fished was Eastham Slab, I had never fished there before. My plan was to arrive at 1am and to fish the flood up to high at 4.45am and about an hour of the ebb, but due to me being preoccupied with my playlist and trying to get Kasmir by Led Zepplin on, I missed the turning for the M56 ans stayed on the M6 south! When I arrived at the mark there were already 4 anglers there, so quickly picked the first corner mark and got my rods in as quickly as possible. On one rod I had a 2 hook loop rig with frozen black tipped with squid and on the other I had a short (about 2 foot) up & over with cart and squid wrapped.

I didn't have to wait long for my first bite and reeled in a 47com codling, this was caught on the squid and cart wrap. I rebaited with another wrap and soon afterwards had another bite, but the fish came off whilst reeling in. Over the next 3 hours, the squid & cart wrap accounted for 6 more codling ranging from 35cm to 45 cm, all cast to approx the same area. I only had a small whiting to the frozen black. I spoke to the lads fishing next to me towards the end of the session and they had not caught anything, but they had been using worm and squid as bait. As I was leaving at 5.30am, I gave them my left over cart and told them to fish my mark and where I had been casting to catch the codling - so I hope they managed to catch something as they had been there since 6pm!!

My journey home was uneventful, as I managed not to take any wrong turns and only listened to a Pink Floyd playlist!

Well done on a great session. Was it the spot you were fishing or the cart, or even a combination of the two? Got to love fishing, it makes you think and is incredibly addictive.

Well done on a great session. Was it the spot you were fishing or the cart, or even a combination of the two? Got to love fishing, it makes you think and is incredibly addictive.
Just found out that the lad who moved into my spot caught 2 codling on the cart and squid wraps. So maybe a combination?

Nice report Merlin! Well done on the Cod. All too easy to get distracted by the good stuff like Zeppelin & the Floyd! 🎣🎣 (y) (y)

Back