• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Cold finish to 2020 new species

bacon

Reaction score
Hi,
I went out for a very chilly session this evening, the wind kept away so while it was cold we didn't suffer overly much. Lugworm, rag worm and squid in the bag hoping for codling and flounder.

Managed a 10" codling, so target achieved, kinda, but interestingly I managed to catch a specie I've never had before, certainly a bit odd to see apparently up in the Bristol Channel.

But here we go, not one, but a double shot of shore rockling on the flapper rig in close.
IMG_20201231_211358.jpgIMG_20201231_211437.jpgIMG_20201231_211446.jpg

My mate managed a 1lb 3oz flounder.

Packing up, all of my kit was frozen, rods, reels, backpack, rod bag etc all covered in ice. didn't think the car boot was going to open either.

Happy new year all :)

Nice one mate. They may be five bearded though? I’m not certain but all the shore rockling I’ve seen are usually a darker brown, they don’t have that sheen.

I wouldn’t swear to it though!

Well done on the new species slug, you can get them light and dark and shades in-between, bet was a chilly session tho up there.

Nice one mate. They may be five bearded though? I’m not certain but all the shore rockling I’ve seen are usually a darker brown, they don’t have that sheen.

I wouldn’t swear to it though!
Ah I don't know mate!

They had 2 long bits on their nose and one under the chin...?

well done for getting out and not blanking.
Cheers mate

Well done on the new species slug, you can get them light and dark and shades in-between, bet was a chilly session tho up there.
Ah I see!
It's odd, my mate has fished our area for 5 years and never seen one here before, then at the same mark he had one 2 weeks ago. Then I get two together, so something has brought them in?

They are 5 beards 100%. You get 3 beards down Minehead way, very pretty fish, normally around 10oz in weight but can go over a lb. Shore rockling are much darker, personally only ever caught them on the south coast, they tend to be around 10 inches long. Green slugs are 5 beards, tasty cod bites.

Thanks for the report and pictures, well done on the codling and rockling.

They are 5 beards 100%. You get 3 beards down Minehead way, very pretty fish, normally around 10oz in weight but can go over a lb. Shore rockling are much darker, personally only ever caught them on the south coast, they tend to be around 10 inches long. Green slugs are 5 beards, tasty cod bites.
These only had 3 beards though, not 5?

It didn't have spots like a 3 bearded.

It had a brown back with greeny/gold sides and a white under belly?

Appreciate all of your suggestions so far!

Back