• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Common Skate.

Jambo

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Problem trying to avoid Common Skate !! never seen so many Skate all over the area i fish . Wreck fishing for Conger catch Skate !! Tope fishing catch Skate !! doesn't seem to matter what we do can't get clear of them ! for a fish that's "endangered" lot about !!!!!!!!! .

Problem trying to avoid Common Skate !! never seen so many Skate all over the area i fish . Wreck fishing for Conger catch Skate !! Tope fishing catch Skate !! doesn't seem to matter what we do can't get clear of them ! for a fish that's "endangered" lot about !!!!!!!!! .
surely that is a good thing to see them bouncing back

surely that is a good thing to see them bouncing back
Not sure they were ever away just seem to have moved ground it's strange to see it certainly where we are they would never have been "over fished" unlike the West Coast where i first caught them in 1969 !. Always good to see a healthy fish stock but this is getting crazy !

I can see your point, it would be annoying, it's bad when it's just dogs jumping on everyhing

Are a lot of them the same few fish being recaught over and over or loads of different ones everywhere? Wouldn't knock it sounds good sport.

Are a lot of them the same few fish being recaught over and over or loads of different ones everywhere? Wouldn't knock it sounds good sport.
On the west coast I skippered a boat and we tagged and released 5.2 ton in a one month period. Only one ever had a previous tag in it. That was an area roughly the size of 3 football pitches. They are exactly what their name suggests, common. I`ve often been asked when building rods for them about info, techniques etc. I always suggested taking a sack of potatoes in case the fishing was slow. You could tie that on, lower to the sea bed then wind up, much the same as a skate. No sport involved, mainly the tide you are fighting as they kite.

On the west coast I skippered a boat and we tagged and released 5.2 ton in a one month period. Only one ever had a previous tag in it. That was an area roughly the size of 3 football pitches. They are exactly what their name suggests, common. I`ve often been asked when building rods for them about info, techniques etc. I always suggested taking a sack of potatoes in case the fishing was slow. You could tie that on, lower to the sea bed then wind up, much the same as a skate. No sport involved, mainly the tide you are fighting as they kite.
It's crazy to see it now Stan even had one take a Shark bait 3 fathom from the surface !!!

No fishing in seven different areas .
Good info cheers I had no idea ,just seemed to remember reading something about catching the same tagged ones multiple times in the same Loch so wondered. Only sea fished southern England and Ireland . Wales twice lol

Good info cheers I had no idea ,just seemed to remember reading something about catching the same tagged ones multiple times in the same Loch so wondered. Only sea fished southern England and Ireland . Wales twice lol

That would be Lochaline where there is a big concentration. Not really a Loch (well Lochaline is, just an offshoot of the sound small and shallow) The main catching area was in the Sound of Mull just outside Lochaline. To be honest find anywhere up here with sandy or muddy bottom and 30 mtrs plus to 200mtrs and you`ve got commons. They will come in close at night and some big barndoors have been taken from the shore off Harris in the western Isles, 150-200lb on beach casters.

They will come in close at night
Not just at night Stan. I had a 195 pounder from the shore on Lewis in daylight in 10 - 15 metres of water. They fight better in shallow water as well, taking off on long runs. There's a group of lads in the north east around Wick who get a lot of big fish in daylight from the shore.

Not just at night Stan. I had a 195 pounder from the shore on Lewis in daylight in 10 - 15 metres of water. They fight better in shallow water as well, taking off on long runs. There's a group of lads in the north east around Wick who get a lot of big fish in daylight from the shore.
We catch them in 6 fathom to 18 fathoms in the Morayfirth .

Back