• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Complete noob

MikeB_1985

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hello, can someone tell me what type of spinning rod I should be getting to start me off fishing from the shore, estuary mouth. I live in Exeter, Devon and I have lots of places to fish but I'm struggling to go firm on a type of rod. Would a bass rod do me or should I get a smaller spinning rod and go from there. Also have a canal and river that does have pike and would also like to try my hand at that. If you were going to get a rod or two to start you off with a view to tackling the above scenarios, what would you opt for? Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance. Mike

The best advice I can give is ask in your local tackle shop I use the spinning kit (2 rods & 2 reels) i got from Glasgow angling you might still be able to get it it ,for longer distance spinning I use a three piece carp rod,for beach fishing I use a normal beach caster,I do use bass rods when the weather & tide are right.hope this helped

Hello, can someone tell me what type of spinning rod I should be getting to start me off fishing from the shore, estuary mouth. I live in Exeter, Devon and I have lots of places to fish but I'm struggling to go firm on a type of rod. Would a bass rod do me or should I get a smaller spinning rod and go from there. Also have a canal and river that does have pike and would also like to try my hand at that. If you were going to get a rod or two to start you off with a view to tackling the above scenarios, what would you opt for? Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance. Mike
I would nip in to Exeter Angling, they seem to stock a few spinning rods and be able to advise you accordingly.

Canal & River are totally different type of fishing from the beach. For canal a cheap rod would be an Abu Devil Spin around 10ft and casts up to 80gms. For beach casting a 3-6oz 12ft rod would be more suited+ you would need a rod rest etc.

Canal & River are totally different type of fishing from the beach. For canal a cheap rod would be an Abu Devil Spin around 10ft and casts up to 80gms. For beach casting a 3-6oz 12ft rod would be more suited+ you would need a rod rest etc.
I read it as spinning shore and spinning river and canal too?

You'll find that rods and reels are like golf clubs in that they all have specific uses. Get your local tackle shop and tell them your needs and pledge that if they look after you you'll be a good customer!
I'd say that for bass spinning in the sea and pike/perch/salmon etc spinning in freshwater a 9ft rod that casts upto 35/40g would be a useful all-round tool. Match that to a 3000 or 4000 sized reel with 25lb braid on one spool and 12lb mono on another. A few swivels, clips and some leader materials, maybe a net and then start collecting some lures. Be aware that it's addictive though! Keep asking for advice and I'm sure you'll find help on here. When in the tackle shop ask about local clubs/groups etc. You can't beat a leg up from more experienced anglers and local advice. Good luck and enjoy it (y)

Hi Mike, In my opinion as you are just starting out - go with your carp rod idea. Plenty of good secondhand gear on ebay or gumtree will do the job and locations you describe. They are great for spinning or jigging with dexter type lures and you can even bait fish and such in estuaries or on sandy beaches. They are lighter than beach casters too, so you can hold them for long periods .
The main thing is just to get out there and start with something that doesn't break the bank - you can then treat yourself to gear that YOU prefer, something lighter or shorter or more transportable? Then at least you won't be stuck with something that cost a fortune but won't do something that YOU want to do? Regards, Geoff.

Hi Mike, In my opinion as you are just starting out - go with your carp rod idea. Plenty of good secondhand gear on ebay or gumtree will do the job and locations you describe. They are great for spinning or jigging with dexter type lures and you can even bait fish and such in estuaries or on sandy beaches. They are lighter than beach casters too, so you can hold them for long periods .
The main thing is just to get out there and start with something that doesn't break the bank - you can then treat yourself to gear that YOU prefer, something lighter or shorter or more transportable? Then at least you won't be stuck with something that cost a fortune but won't do something that YOU want to do? Regards, Geoff.
Well said.

Hi Mike! I bought one of the new Abu Tormentor rods earlier in the year and I'm very pleased with it. Mine was a 9ft 20 - 60 gms, mainly for use with metal lures & Dexter wedges, but they do all sorts of lengths & casting weights, either as a 2 piece rod or 4 piece travel rod. I got mne from Angling_Centre on eBay but shop around to get a good deal and the version that suits your needs best.

Mike, I fish lures for both coarse fish.. Pike, perch and chub and sea fish... Wrasse pollock bass mackeral. I use the same rods for both disciplines one is a savage gear rod rated 3 to 14 and one is a hto hooligan 7 to 35. The rods are perfect for both styles. The are light enough to really work the lures and enjoy the fight but have enough backbone to tame the fish. I've had pike to 20, chub to 5lb on these rods, as have my 10 Yr old daughter and the rods were great. If I only had 1 I would go for the hto hooligan. Great for the money.

Back