• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Continental style leads.

Kevin3110

Reaction score
What’s everyone using?

Normally I’m a grip lead type of fisherman and have limited experience regarding what some of these Continental style of leads can offer. I have on occasion used the bucket style off the beach and the odd session with a pyramid type but there’s so many available I’m debating adding a few to my scratching setup.

Cheers

I use the pyramid ones along with the bomb style a lot on Chesil great for searching out areas of clay and gulleys for all species. The pyramid ones hold well if the tides pulling but got that movement. The bombs when the tide starts to ease still keeps your baits moving. Find they cast well and def worth a go. The only thing to keep in mind is the bites I find register an differently I tend to use the 6oz leads as it gives more of resistance when a fish hits your bait and find the hook up rate has improved compared to the lighter leads. Others may have other ideas but found this works for me but that’s on more traditional gear ie multi and match pros, couldn’t begin to tell you if it’s the same with a conti set up.

I use the pyramid ones along with the bomb style a lot on Chesil great for searching out areas of clay and gulleys for all species. The pyramid ones hold well if the tides pulling but got that movement. The bombs when the tide starts to ease still keeps your baits moving. Find they cast well and def worth a go. The only thing to keep in mind is the bites I find register an differently I tend to use the 6oz leads as it gives more of resistance when a fish hits your bait and find the hook up rate has improved compared to the lighter leads. Others may have other ideas but found this works for me but that’s on more traditional gear ie multi and match pros, couldn’t begin to tell you if it’s the same with a conti set up.
Cheers for the reply, it’s not a Continental setup I’ll be using it on really it’ll be 14’ 4&Bait. Any particular preference to brand? Been looking through what Shorecast have to offer.

Cheers for the reply, it’s not a Continental setup I’ll be using it on really it’ll be 14’ 4&Bait. Any particular preference to brand? Been looking through what Shorecast have to offer.
I use the shorecast leads and tbf never had a problem with them and the coating seems fairly resilient. Using them on Chesil the coating holds up well and charged with a uv light they glow nicely. Use them for the rays aswell searching the area. Some may say they are a gimmick but if it gives you confidence in what you’re doing it’s fine it’s job as you won’t be doubting what you’re doing.

I use the shorecast leads and tbf never had a problem with them and the coating seems fairly resilient. Using them on Chesil the coating holds up well and charged with a uv light they glow nicely. Use them for the rays aswell searching the area. Some may say they are a gimmick but if it gives you confidence in what you’re doing it’s fine it’s job as you won’t be doubting what you’re doing.
Cheers mate, appreciate the feedback.

I use pyramid leads up to 4oz on my light rods , and breakaway grip leads on my 'heavier' rods up to 6 oz
That’s pretty much how I usually fish, 6oz gripper on the 6&Bait but starting to try something a little different on the lighter 4&Bait, see if I can “ search “ out fish a little more by utilising some of these different style of leads.

I am sure Pete (chesilpete) had some issues with the Turkana conti style leads, the ones with swivels, might have been on the "other forum", might be worth having a chat with him on the subject Kev. ;)

Ian.

I am sure Pete (chesilpete) had some issues with the Turkana conti style leads, the ones with swivels, might have been on the "other forum", might be worth having a chat with him on the subject Kev. ;)

Ian.
I recall something about that, may have seen a post on Facebook about it too. Was trying to see what the swivels on the Shorecast were rated? I’d seen 90-100lb somewhere but couldn’t confirm if that’s right or not as I’ve not found it since.

The Shorecast website doesn't even state the swivels ratings, i am always a bit dubious about conti style leads with swivels on, but that is just me. I only ever use Gemini leads, the splashdowns are great.

Ian.

The Shorecast website doesn't even state the swivels ratings, i am always a bit dubious about conti style leads with swivels on, but that is just me. I only ever use Gemini leads, the splashdowns are great.

Ian.
It doesn’t, I’m wondering now where I’ve seen the info about the rating. I’ll keep looking into it 👍

I quite like the turkana leads, but the swivels do fail.
A rating means nothing unless your going to throw the lead away after a couple of trips.
Answer chop the swivels off and use the loop.
The bomb pattern turkanas are the best of all of the contis and cast better than shorecsst leads.

I quite like the turkana leads, but the swivels do fail.
A rating means nothing unless your going to throw the lead away after a couple of trips.
Answer chop the swivels off and use the loop.
The bomb pattern turkanas are the best of all of the contis and cast better than shorecsst leads.
Cheers, I have a couple of the Turkana bucket type I’d won in a comp along with a baseball cap a few years ago. I’ve not personally had issues with the swivels but I don’t use that type of lead often either. Will look into removing one on one of the leads I have to see what it’s like.

Good thread. Like Kevin said in his OP, I tend to only use Grip leads, or leads of a similar shape without grip wires.
Usually only 3 or 4oz with my Conti rods too, although I think they would cast more. Forget the rating.
As well as holding the bottom on a beach session, I have been told to use them on a rocky bottom, as the wires stop the Leads from falling into gaps & getting snagged?
I liked the grip leads with thick strimmer line that Billy Fishing was talking about, and was going to make some, but need to bring my old drill press & vice back from France. A drill bit can easily dig into lead and snap, so you need to have the lead firmly held and drill very carefully.

I will stick to my tried and trusted Gemini Breakout sinkers, and plain Splashdowns, 4 and 5 ounce, never go above that weight. Never let me down. ;) Just not into the conti style coloured sinkers, or rods for that matter, but each to there own. (y)

Ian.

Last edited:
I tried them weights with inbuilt swivels,and every time after about 6 trips the swivels failed !!
They just don't look safe to me, we know no lead is 100% safe, but the swivel ones just look like an accident waiting to happen. JMO.

Ian.

Never had a conti lead fail on me there my go to for plaice fishing or when there’s not much tide does improve catch rate who knows but fish are attracted to bioluminescence so there might be something in it
bioluminescence, that is easy for you to say Tats... :)

Ian.

Back