• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Counting the days till spring.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
My winter bait fishing hasn't exactly got off to the best of starts, with 5 whiting caught last Tuesday evening and only 3 on Thursday, so I had high hopes for last night's match on the Menai Straits ?. Conditions were decent enough, except for a little more moonlight than I prefer ?, but the dirty water should be enough to counteract that and to encourage the fish to feed more confidently.
November match 2021.jpg

7 of us turned up, with high hopes of non-stop dogs, whiting and hopefully more for the next 4 hours, but it wasn't destined to be.

Things started off on a promising note, with bites for both Steve A and me on the very first cast, but while Goldenb***s started off with a double header of a dog and in-size whiting, I missed the bites completely and reeled in nothing but bare hooks ?. The next cast resulted a strap conger for Steve, while I missed out again.

This set the tone for the rest of the match, and though I had plenty of bites, including one serious pull down reminiscent of something a lot bigger than a doggie ?, I just couldn't connect with any of them. I did eventually beat the blank with a whiting, but at 25cm it was 2cm short of the minimum size and ultimately I failed to weigh in ?.

The rest of the lads didn't exactly bag up, but they all caught at least 1 in-size fish. Kenny finished in 6th place with a whiting of 0.22kg, Glyn was 5th with a whiting of 0.23kg, John 4th with a dog and a rock goby for 0.59kg and Gwion 3rd with a conger of 0.88kg. That left the top 2 places, and after getting off to a flyer, Steve A held onto his lead to finish in first place with 2 dogs and 2 whiting for 2.01kg ?, just in front of Steve O with 2 dogs for 1.56kg and the runner up spot ?.

So my bait fishing has gone from bad to worse since I packed in the lures and unless things pick up dramatically this next week, then it will be a very long winter ahead, and I'll be counting the days until the arrival of spring ?.

I’ve had enough of winter too! I hate winter with a passion, it’s too dark for too long, it’s cold, wet and miserable, hibernation is a fervent wish!
I like what I call "Menthol mornings", clear skies, sunny but crunchy underfoot from the frost. The air smells really fresh. I agree about the cold, wet and miserable shit though, it's really not pleasant. I've noticed that these days I'm most definitely a fair weather Fisher.

Back