• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Couple decent sessions.

Had1

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Not quite a Mr Fish or Andy 1965 report but I'll try make it a bit more descriptive than normal . Also only a couple of photos as still using same cracked phone 😅
So it's been a tough winter round here , i only fish locally mainly. Should of travelled but hey ho....only been a few times but just seemed dead, picked up a ray and doggie just after Christmas then a blank a week later. Around the 25th of Feb had another blank baits totally untouched all evening.

Usually start getting amongst some rays around late February and good fishing into March April for them. Was thinking keep trying because 1 trip they will turn up , and so they have.
Monday was 35mph winds crossways along the coast left to right, thought about where to go, there's a little spot where u can tuck behind a wall out of the wind so went there 😀 bought a beach buddy to which I don't normally. Made it nice and comfy to be honest , you don't have to move here just set up above tide line .
Usual set up for me of 2 rods ,pulley rig with pennell hooks and a running rig with a single hook . Also bought a 3rd scratching rod stuff for a change using size 4s and flapper with lug I dug Monday morning . Only using 2 rods at any time though .
1st cast massive bow in the line because of the strong winds,and lead tripping not holding, thought here we go maybe it's unfishable, anyway it did stop and hold and wasn't an issue after all.
1st cast whole squid , nod.nod left it for a second and slack line. Nice little weighty fight and a nice 8lbs thornback on the beach. Was deep hooked and I kept it for my uncle. On getting there was 2 sprats or small herring digesting in there .
Next cast same again but much smaller around 2lbs, at this point I cast a 2nd rod out with the flapper rig and lug.
Right before this gets long and boring I'll summarise more haha , ended up being bites pretty much every cast and had 6 rays ,the 1st one being the biggest by a couple of pounds . 2 dogfish , around 10 whiting , a dab and 3 rockling.

My mate had a small ray and a whiting aswell, hardly had a rod in though had a nightmare re spooled etc etc 🤣
Happy to get some action again was completely barren round here only 2 weeks back.

Went again last night, Wednesday.
So many times iv returned to the exact place of a good session the next day or so and it hasnt fished as well , or a total blank, so to avoid that curse I seem to have I went the other end of town at a different beach. Nice and calm with a slight onshore wind. No breakwaters in the way here either so can fish a bit more spread out .
So 2 of us fished next door to each other with 2 rods each.
3 rays each this time, smaller though upto about 4lbs. A couple of whiting for me on the flapper rod again. Mate had a couple dabs to.

20240205_181611.jpg20240205_184948.jpg20240205_200345.jpg

Great report mate, some nice Thornie's too, nice pics as well.. 🎣

Ian.

Cracking Report Had1, nice photos too. 8Lb Ray was a good catch. 🎣🎣👍👍

Not quite a Mr Fish or Andy 1965 report but I'll try make it a bit more descriptive than normal . Also only a couple of photos as still using same cracked phone 😅
So it's been a tough winter round here , i only fish locally mainly. Should of travelled but hey ho....only been a few times but just seemed dead, picked up a ray and doggie just after Christmas then a blank a week later. Around the 25th of Feb had another blank baits totally untouched all evening.

Usually start getting amongst some rays around late February and good fishing into March April for them. Was thinking keep trying because 1 trip they will turn up , and so they have.
Monday was 35mph winds crossways along the coast left to right, thought about where to go, there's a little spot where u can tuck behind a wall out of the wind so went there 😀 bought a beach buddy to which I don't normally. Made it nice and comfy to be honest , you don't have to move here just set up above tide line .
Usual set up for me of 2 rods ,pulley rig with pennell hooks and a running rig with a single hook . Also bought a 3rd scratching rod stuff for a change using size 4s and flapper with lug I dug Monday morning . Only using 2 rods at any time though .
1st cast massive bow in the line because of the strong winds,and lead tripping not holding, thought here we go maybe it's unfishable, anyway it did stop and hold and wasn't an issue after all.
1st cast whole squid , nod.nod left it for a second and slack line. Nice little weighty fight and a nice 8lbs thornback on the beach. Was deep hooked and I kept it for my uncle. On getting there was 2 sprats or small herring digesting in there .
Next cast same again but much smaller around 2lbs, at this point I cast a 2nd rod out with the flapper rig and lug.
Right before this gets long and boring I'll summarise more haha , ended up being bites pretty much every cast and had 6 rays ,the 1st one being the biggest by a couple of pounds . 2 dogfish , around 10 whiting , a dab and 3 rockling.

My mate had a small ray and a whiting aswell, hardly had a rod in though had a nightmare re spooled etc etc 🤣
Happy to get some action again was completely barren round here only 2 weeks back.

Went again last night, Wednesday.
So many times iv returned to the exact place of a good session the next day or so and it hasnt fished as well , or a total blank, so to avoid that curse I seem to have I went the other end of town at a different beach. Nice and calm with a slight onshore wind. No breakwaters in the way here either so can fish a bit more spread out .
So 2 of us fished next door to each other with 2 rods each.
3 rays each this time, smaller though upto about 4lbs. A couple of whiting for me on the flapper rod again. Mate had a couple dabs to.

View attachment 58919View attachment 58920View attachment 58921

Great report, and pics, well done on the rays.

Well done Had1, busy couple of sessions there, well worth getting out.

I know the ‘can’t be bothered to travel’ feeling but tbh this time of year is usually so quiet it’s probably better to stay close to home, lol

Back