• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Couple hours down southwest

Si-fly

Reaction score
Just back from a couple days down Plymouth way.
Always try to take a rod and had heard a few Topknots had come out ?... Always wanted one, so spent a few hours looking!

Unfortunately I didn't see any this time, but after I gave up I saw a few lads catch a gar ?

I haven't caught any yet this year so put a small metal on and had a few casts.
Again I failed... Was getting hits and follows, but no hookups ☹️

I saw another one out to a float, so I looked in the lrf bag and found a small pike float ?. Now to rig something up and chuck it out
A small strip of gar went on and out it went as far as the 7ft rod would allow.

Bang off it went straight away!!.... A tail walking gar the result.... Crazy things. IMG_20210924_095753~3_resize_30.jpg

After that it was basically a repeat every cast, with a couple dropping off, and a few small pollack.

I kept 16 for bait, then called time as the misses was up and after a coffee ?
IMG_20210924_181659_1_resize_62.jpg
Cheers Si.

Well done Si do love gar fishing recon will get a glut of em soon mate they any good on the channel for bait good for whitening down ere

Well done Si do love gar fishing recon will get a glut of em soon mate they any good on the channel for bait good for whitening down ere
I'm hoping they will work for spurs if we get any. If not maybe conger?

I will def use them on trips down south, they are popular as freeze down well and will catch lots of stuff added to worm or in strips...... Gar love it ??

I will def use them on trips down south, they are popular as freeze down well and will catch lots of stuff added to worm or in strips...... Gar love it ??
Seem a 12 lb bass caught on frozen gar before quite a oily fish so should catch plenty funny enough out fun fish in the comps has been a gar last two have been a rollover and one of those was Brixham breakwater no ones had any yet ??‍♀️

Well done si you should have messaged me I would have joined you on the pier , there’s loads of gar around now , i think top knot are caught more in the dark , in between the big rocks

Oh yea, conger will take them. And everything else ???
I’ve had mixed success but they’ve certainly worked for dogs, whiting, rockling etc so I think it’s definitely a bait worth taking with you.

Well done si you should have messaged me I would have joined you on the pier , there’s loads of gar around now , i think top knot are caught more in the dark , in between the big rocks
Yep, I had a couple hrs night before looking, may be my eyes but couldn't see any!

Ah I didn't realise you were Plymouth, thought you guys were further down, Cornwall side for some reason.

I'll message you if I'm down again, or for info on what's about ??

Seem a 12 lb bass caught on frozen gar before quite a oily fish so should catch plenty funny enough out fun fish in the comps has been a gar last two have been a rollover and one of those was Brixham breakwater no ones had any yet ??‍♀️
I'll post you over one for next comp Tat ?......................... ?????

I'll post you over one for next comp Tat ?......................... ?????
Top man ?? I’ll go half’s on the kitty with be about£45 by then let’s just keep it to ourselves don’t put it on social media or anything yeah???

16!!!, ive only seen 1 swim by and he was 6inchs long!, very well done on that lot you had (y) (y) great bait and dinner too.

Yep, I had a couple hrs night before looking, may be my eyes but couldn't see any!

Ah I didn't realise you were Plymouth, thought you guys were further down, Cornwall side for some reason.

I'll message you if I'm down again, or for info on what's about ??
Copy me in on that too please SI! ??

Back