• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Couple hrs on the flood.

Si-fly

Reaction score
Hi All
Still buzzing from yesterday's trip, I was keen to use up the last of my worm if I could today, as the weather looks pants for Tuesday /Wednesday.

However I had stuff to do first thing, so told my mate I would be out later and thought to myself I'd give him a wave as I passed as he said he was fishing a closer mark.

I managed to arrive at low and started to walk out surprised I couldn't see him?

Well I soon saw him in the distance.... In the spot I had the fish yesterday, and planned to fish today ???

Strange he had never fished there before.

Oh well.

He said he thought I was fishing over high not low, so honest mistake.

Whatever, life is too short, so I set up further along.

Just a short trip, as I only had maybe 15 half dead worms on me, and a bit of squid should that run out early.

To rub salt in, he had just caught a 5lb bass before I arrived, and then wound in a 2+ sole 20 mins after I cast out ???. Ah the sole hurt ??

Anyway, I settled down and watched motionless tips, as he then had a strap.

Still quiet my side, so out came the coffee.

As often happens I had a bite after the first sip!
Turned out to be a strap.
Back out it went, and I finished the now cold coffee.

Looking up I had a lot of slack... Bugger... Wound in fast and connected with a bit of weight.... Wasn't a ray at least, and I soon saw a nice spiky fin.

Another nice bass, and at least I could get my mate to take some pics!

I had a quick play with the phone settings, as yesterday's pics took a lot of messing with at home, to try and get a nice image as the sky was bright behind me.

Think they came out OK considering the bright sun?

IMG_20211004_142554~3_resize_9.jpg
After that, the rays and eels seemed to move in, and I had a couple of each... Nothing big, best of each around 6lb max
IMG_20211004_142759~3_resize_28.jpg

Things now slowed up as we were getting pushed off the reef, and a small strap and a smaller bass around 3.5lb finished off the trip for me.

I didnt get my sole again, but the bass def made up for it.

Cheers Si.

You certainly got fantastic fishing up your way , well done
We do have a stamp of better fish it seems..... Lack of trawlers I'm guessing??

But the fishing has been good down your way lately John.... I could send you loads of pics of big SE, blondes, gilts, mullet, bass, huss, eels, triggers... There have beens lots of double SE and blondes to 23lb+ on just the ray front. That's just fish I've seen from a couple of Plymouth lads I know.

Stick at it, you will have your night I'm sure ?

We do have a stamp of better fish it seems..... Lack of trawlers I'm guessing??

But the fishing has been good down your way lately John.... I could send you loads of pics of big SE, blondes, gilts, mullet, bass, huss, eels, triggers... There have beens lots of double SE and blondes to 23lb+ on just the ray front. That's just fish I've seen from a couple of Plymouth lads I know.

Stick at it, you will have your night I'm sure ?
If it is the same ones I have met a few times they are excellent anglers with big casts

Nice one Si - great report as always and a lovely Bassy photo! ??

Certainly fishing consistently well at your (not) so secret mark.
Ah, no marks are secret bud, anyone can look on Google and walk the shoreline ?

The tricky bit is knowing when and how to fish them ?.... Get lucky and put some time in, and hopefully you get rewarded.

Old Boys like myself have put a few years in, which definitely helps consistency. I always say the size is just luck ?

Back