• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West couple trips after the bug.

bananas

Reaction score
Well after my last trip out to Seaton, I managed to catch Covid as well as some fish, tho I put the bug down to me missus as she started with it first!!
So was totally dead the first week and knackered and snotting the 2nd, got to this weekend and wasn't really feeling like fishing at all but a mate said he needed to up his club species hunt and did I fancy a go.
So arranged to meet up on Monday and try Brixham, well we got to our mark in blazing heat, managed to find a spot under a bit a cover from the sun and got the light gear fishing, first cast, first fish, a small Ballan, 2nd cast a Pouting, then a Pollock, this carried on virtually the whole session, with nearly fish a chuck.
We had over 50 fish each out and 9 different species , all the normal Wrasse's plus a Rockcook, tompots, ringnecks and my mate had a Black goby , with 4 new species for him.
Only fished for just over 3 hours and surprising how catching occupies the mind as didnt feel that tired at the end of it, tho the walk back to the car sorted that feeling out good and proper and put me on the sofa for the rest of the evening.

Couple days later and feeling lots better, I had a chat about a day out with the other half and Charlestown was the chosen destination, plan was she would walk the dog and see the sights and I would try for a Weever. Well was a nice grey, drizzly, breezy day, so would keep us cool and keep a lot a grokles, opps in Cornwall so emmits away, hopefully.
Nice place and easy to park up ,tho charges are a bit high £6 for 4 hours!, on to the fishing, stayed with my light gear, as its lots more fun and was getting bites straight away, after a few casts a small Whiting came out followed by a couple a Pollock. I tried different lures, feathers, metals and spots all around the harbour but was still getting just the same two species.
Went to the end of one the piers and flipped a bit a rag out and the rod arched straight over, a good scrap and a nice Ballan was on the surface, I didnt fancy hauling him up so a walk a round the harbour to where some steps was that I could land him.
IMG_20220720_121312.jpg
He was around a pound and half and was happy to get back in the water, after being shown to a family that was watching my antics with him.
Bit later me missus returned saying "what a fecking tiny place, done the only dog friendly beach, walked around the town, no fecking shops, just a few boats, what a dump", taking she wasn't to happy and with only 3/4 a hour on the meter, I said id fish the other pier and then we could go home.
Luckily for me as I got to the other side, a couple a guys Id been chatting too during the morning said they had a Weever earlier and said the spot and even gave me a bit a Sandeel to try, top guys (y) (y) , a few casts in the new spot gave the usual small Whiting, then flipped it a little further out and a tiny bite started, didn't feel much while I retrieved, so guessed another Whiting, but this was a lot smaller as it came over the harbour wall, then it flicked it black fin out, Weever, yes happy days.
A careful unhooking and pics before he went back over the side. straight on the phone to her, " we can go home now, I got the bugger". she was pleased with that news.!!
Charlestown is a nice place, it did get a good few people there and the carpark was full when we left, not much to do after you've taken a few pics the harbour and walked on the beach, so if you go there, take your rods:):).
IMG_20220720_134215.jpg

Another great report & photos Bob! Good to hear you got another for the hunt too.
John said to me as he arrived on Tuesday evening "did you ring me just now? Oh no, it was Bob"!
I meant to ask him how you were but he was on a roll with his chatter!
Hope the Covid is out of your system too - mine is still playing havoc with my chest. ????

Back