• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

East Coast Crail Harbour - minor success

daved141414

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi,

New to the forum here, so looking for advice and help on Marks along the Fife Coast.
I was along at Crail Harbour with my son a few weeks ago and managed about half a dozen small Pollock on a rising tide and calm seas, fishing with lugworm.

Has anyone had better success anywhere on the Fife coast?

Our last two outings at Dysart and Elie only gave us one other Pollock but nothing more exciting.

I hear the Cod should be moving at this time??

Last edited:
It's probably 10 years since I last fished Crail, but it was one of my favourite places for some years.

My best coddies usually came fishing the very end of the outer harbour wall with just a 20-30 yd cast. Casting any further put you across and out of the boat channel and into shallow rocky ground.

I frequently managed catches of several smaller codling fishing at the steps about mid point of the outer wall. You needed a decent cast to reach the outer reaches of the boat channel, still don't know how I managed that! These days I would almost certainly throw myself into the sea!

If it's the same now as when I last fished there, well, some lobster holding pens just outside the harbour but inside the boat channel complicated where you could cast and fish immensely!

The "pollack" you were catching were almost certainly coalfish, if it's fairly calm this is what is most likely to be caught!

You need a decent sea to bring the cod in to most harbour marks along the east Scottish coast.

Dysart is an "historic" cod mark! Unless things have improved immensely since I moved away!

Hope someone comes along to give you more recent information. Shore angling has a slow learning curve wherever you fish, but sometimes things work out and you get lucky!

Thanks everyone.
I was quite pleased with the catch, considering I was talking to a guy at Elie yesterday who hasn't caught anything all year!

Back