• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Crufts

Live in hope

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Like the title suggests there were plenty of dogs about! Went to an East Devon mark Saturday fishing the last of the ebb and the flood tide. The walk down is ok but still trying to forget the walk back up. Arrived to find it fairly quiet and just a few social distancing people freezing on the shingle. The winds had coloured the water enough for a change of plans to be the order of the day with little hope of a spottie. Coffee and plan decided and worm baits untouched a swap to crab in one rod and launce/squid wraps on the other. To cut a cold evening short decent size dogs and small Huss from the off at distances from 15yards out. Only highlight was a slack liner on the launce cocktail we all love to see reeled into it and a decent weight staying on the bottom only for the hooks to pull in the backwash! Put it down to a double shot of dogs but not going to try and guess. Apart from that 12 dogs and 5 small Huss and great to be out again enjoying the fishing and all it evokes. Pleased my plan changes worked and may of lost my target species of a ray but always next time if the walk appeals ?

Like the title suggests there were plenty of dogs about! Went to an East Devon mark Saturday fishing the last of the ebb and the flood tide. The walk down is ok but still trying to forget the walk back up. Arrived to find it fairly quiet and just a few social distancing people freezing on the shingle. The winds had coloured the water enough for a change of plans to be the order of the day with little hope of a spottie. Coffee and plan decided and worm baits untouched a swap to crab in one rod and launce/squid wraps on the other. To cut a cold evening short decent size dogs and small Huss from the off at distances from 15yards out. Only highlight was a slack liner on the launce cocktail we all love to see reeled into it and a decent weight staying on the bottom only for the hooks to pull in the backwash! Put it down to a double shot of dogs but not going to try and guess. Apart from that 12 dogs and 5 small Huss and great to be out again enjoying the fishing and all it evokes. Pleased my plan changes worked and may of lost my target species of a ray but always next time if the walk appeals ?
Nice one bud I done something similar yesterday arfter rays but only dogs and a small bass funny as ht approached and the swell increased the fishing died on its arse with no bites at all off out again later looking for they rays ??

Yeah snap around mid tide it was thick with dogs but hour before high it went quiet and the walk up across the fields and woods was calling my name ? Think later will be good for them tat gl.

Yeah snap around mid tide it was thick with dogs but hour before high it went quiet and the walk up across the fields and woods was calling my name ? Think later will be good for them tat gl.
Yes mate that east wind has swung round now hopefully should find something we’re you at the Mark where they generally got the wrong sort of tackle Hanging out ?

Had my pb bass down here mate and it does chuck up rays plaice and hounds But generally it’s loads of tiny Huss there’s some big wasse on the reefs I’ve been informed tho love it here just getting our chalet ready for summer ?

Had my pb bass down here mate and it does chuck up rays plaice and hounds But generally it’s loads of tiny Huss there’s some big wasse on the reefs I’ve been informed tho love it here just getting our chalet ready for summer ?
You do have a nice way of pissing people off. ? ? ?

Was the other side of the headland last night and same things there think it’s a case of kissing a lot of frogs until the better ones take pity on you.

I've fished there a few times, that walk back up is a real killer! Last time my mate had 5 quality plaice, I managed about a million dogs, small eye, hound but no plaice, all on lug. There's got to be some quality huss to be had around there?

I've fished there a few times, that walk back up is a real killer! Last time my mate had 5 quality plaice, I managed about a million dogs, small eye, hound but no plaice, all on lug. There's got to be some quality huss to be had around there?
Best Huss I’ve had from that area is just over 6lb been tempted to fish the rough ground with heavy gear after a good stir up to see if there are any better ones knocking. The good thing is you can usually have most of the beach to yourself. I try to block out the walk back or I won’t go back?

Best Huss I’ve had from that area is just over 6lb been tempted to fish the rough ground with heavy gear after a good stir up to see if there are any better ones knocking. The good thing is you can usually have most of the beach to yourself. I try to block out the walk back or I won’t go back?
Think branscome still the best bet bet for the big Huss long walk either way right in amongst the snarly bits

Think branscome still the best bet bet for the big Huss long walk either way right in amongst the snarly bits
Years ago straight point/ otter cove used to throw up some big Huss had them over 11lb there but from what I can gather you can’t get down there now which is a shame.

Back