• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Daiwa Sleepskin Thermal Layer

Thinking I wont bother, stick to thin layers under the Bib n braces, and some of Karen's tights, they are excellent for keeping your legs warm, and the thick fishing socks, cant beat em.. (y)

Ian.

They may well be ok, but I was bitten too many times as a novice angler.
Clothing made by tackle companies is crap and generally not fit for purpose.

Base layers (when it's cold) merino wool.
Mid layer, joggers or cargo trousers
Mid layer, down filled light weight jacket or body warmer.
Top layer, gortex b&b plus smock/jacket.

If it's monsoon rain then guy cotten oilskins as top layer.

If it's bitterly cold I have a guy cotten fleece onesie that goes over the base layer.

I've the original Sundridge Sleepskin, not sure if they are still the same? Very warm but it has pilled quite badly over the years. Saying that I've had it a long while as I bought it from the original GAC shop near the barrowlands, so 20 years or more ?!?
Since buying a much thinner but brilliant merino wool set from John Norris it's been relegated to 'spares' and kept in the back of the truck, just incase.

I've the original Sundridge Sleepskin, not sure if they are still the same? Very warm but it has pilled quite badly over the years. Saying that I've had it a long while as I bought it from the original GAC shop near the barrowlands, so 20 years or more ?!?
Since buying a much thinner but brilliant merino wool set from John Norris it's been relegated to 'spares' and kept in the back of the truck, just incase.
I do believe Sundridge/Daiwa are now one and the same.

Ian.

As most marks here require a fair walk if anything I under dress at times.
Just my own preferences and commenting generally btw but I tend to prefer a two piece floatie with normal clothes, maybe a second hoodie/jumper underneath.

I’ve tried the thermal second skin layers etc but usually makes me too hot.

I’m the same with boots. People rave about the various thermal boots that make your feet ‘toasty’ - I can’t think of anything worse, hate having hot feet. I’d rather they were a bit cold than ‘toasty’.

Which doesn’t answer your question I realise 😬

They may well be ok, but I was bitten too many times as a novice angler.
Clothing made by tackle companies is crap and generally not fit for purpose.

Base layers (when it's cold) merino wool.
Mid layer, joggers or cargo trousers
Mid layer, down filled light weight jacket or body warmer.
Top layer, gortex b&b plus smock/jacket.

If it's monsoon rain then guy cotten oilskins as top layer.

If it's bitterly cold I have a guy cotten fleece onesie that goes over the base layer.
Angling clothing is dogshit.

Sadly I can’t wear wool. 😢
Oh no, the wifey can't either, cotton is ok though. I have a couple of Isle of Aran wool hand made jumpers which are great. (y)

Angling clothing is dogshit.
Most of it certainly, there are exceptions. Don't tell Simms wearers - commonly known as The Simms Sheep by us ghillies - but they are paying st least 3x over the odds. Have a look at brands like Taimen that sell direct from the factory or check at outlets like John Norris (even TKMax) where you'll find deep discounts on previous years colours/models. Real certified Goretex is still the leader in its class, at a price, though there are some almost as good alternatives but beware knock offs and wannabes.

Most of it certainly, there are exceptions. Don't tell Simms wearers - commonly known as The Simms Sheep by us ghillies - but they are paying st least 3x over the odds. Have a look at brands like Taimen that sell direct from the factory or check at outlets like John Norris (even TKMax) where you'll find deep discounts on previous years colours/models. Real certified Goretex is still the leader in its class, at a price, though there are some almost as good alternatives but beware knock offs and wannabes.
I wear Gill OS2 sailing gear. It’s fantastic, but not cheap. Guy Cotton won’t let you down, but it’s like wearing a plastic bag and you sweat like buggery in it.

eVent is a good alternative to goretex. 30,000mm waterproof rating (goretex is 28,000mm) but also more breathable. Both will keep you dry in the most torrential rain.

Back