• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Day trip to the beach

John Mitchell

Reaction score
off to the big beach , drove to bobs house and shared a car to be environmentally friendly .
After a 2 hour drive got to chesil bait and tackle to pick up our bait , boy what I shop I knew that I mustn’t touch anything as I would want to buy it , soooo many nice lures ??.
Got to the car park paid the £10 fee, ( bastards ) .
So off we set for the climb up and over in the summer heat ???.
set up 2 rods each target fish were bream , red mullet , cod, and the fantasy fish trigger .
I was first in after about a hour a nice codling with a sore on its back .222A7198-FD94-482D-9CFC-02AF7557F353.jpeg,it’s really quite for a while a few little rattles not hooking anything , then I get a bite and a take fish on , I play this fish in only for it to fall off at the shore on the bank and slip back into the water ??, it was a red mullet . So carry on not to long after I get another bite lands a red mullet, I yanked him up the bank and he too came off but on a flat bit yippee, I can see why it’s hard to hook them such tiny mouths .151B029A-3B6D-49AC-9DD8-957957C0EA6C.jpeg,I think bob had a bream next a nice one , I’m sure he will add his picture later .
As you can tell it wasn’t a busy session but we were catching fish for our spieces hunt so that’s ok , it was a nice day to be sat on the beach . suddenly I get a nice bite a take , I am thinking bream but no it was the elusive trigger fish what a great fight took me sideways for a bit then back the other way , what a fantastic fish , a first for me so a PB .
4F8D9940-57BD-499F-9491-E397D4503036.jpeg,so that was that , 7.30 came and bob said come on time to call it a day , so up and over again , and off we go for my 2.30 journey home .I only caught 3 fish but that was 3 fish for my spieces hunt .

Well done on the fish mate, was a very slow day with hardly any bites at all, my first one resulted in a string a feathers, then the second was the bream. baits was being stripped very quickly too. a few others along the beach had the odd bream that I saw.
A nice day there but could have done with a few more fish

That report is chesil all over, 3 fish all different all not what you would get from anywhere else....
Congratulations on the weirdest mixed bag of the year so far!
Cheers mate bob also had a bream so 4 fish all different ideal

Great result, and required species as well, bargain. (y)

Ian.

Those 4 spieces were our target spieces for the session, I needed a bream to make it a dream session.

Well done John, a few different fish at least and gotta love a trigger!
Did you eat it? They’re supposed to be very nice.
I didn’t eat it , with it being hot I returned all my fish , the codling went belly up , a gull grabbed the red mullet as soon as I put it back , the trigger went back ok but with the hook still inside it . So not good but I did try .

Great report & photos John! Well done on the species hunt too. Not a lot of fish, but they were what you targetted so a good result. ????

Great report & photos John! Well done on the species hunt too. Not a lot of fish, but they were what you targetted so a good result. ????
But you won’t believe it I was disappointed I didn’t catch a bream , especially when bob got one , Jammy git ??

I didn’t eat it , with it being hot I returned all my fish , the codling went belly up , a gull grabbed the red mullet as soon as I put it back , the trigger went back ok but with the hook still inside it . So not good but I did try .
I don’t really eat fish but everyone I’ve given triggers to said they were lush.
Takes a cleaver to get through the bone, lol, but the skin is so thick it should peel quite easily

I don’t really eat fish but everyone I’ve given triggers to said they were lush.
Takes a cleaver to get through the bone, lol, but the skin is so thick it should peel quite easily
I think Mr Fishlocker did a Triggerfish Catch & Cook with his father-in-law who is a Chef.

Back