• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West December Bassing

Plaicehunter

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
A December lure-caught bass was the target today as I headed for a favourite warm-weather mark. I was a bit concerned that heavy overnight rain might have chilled and coloured the water, but it was clear enough when I arrived. I planned to intercept bass running up-channel on the late flood into a shallow bay and then ambush them again on the way back. But after a few exploratory casts with a variety of lures, including a new Hound Glide, I realised it wasn't going to be easy. I haven't caught off the top for several weeks, though I did give the Patch 125 a swim just in case. Then it was a question of trying a variety of sinking and diving lures at various depths and angles.
Eventually I had a bump on a Ghost X-Rap Countdown, but it didn't stick.
During a tea-break, a small mackerel grabbed my lure as it dangled over the side, but it didn't count as a blank-saver and was released.
The tide turned and I thought my luck had too, as the Megabass Flatbacker was bumped and then grabbed by a half-decent bass. Sadly, after some banging about, it surfaced in a flurry of spray, thrashed about and came off. Cue cursing!
The afternoon wore on and I couldn't help thinking about all the bass I'd had earlier in the year and what I'd give for just one now to beat the blank. But on the umpteenth last cast, the Flatbacker was properly whacked, and while it was clearly only a small fish I played it carefully and even netted it.
It may have been a tiddler, but one December bass is a heck of a lot better than none! PH

Attachments

• IMG_20201210_150845.jpg
    IMG_20201210_150845.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 11
Back