• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Definitely bassy!

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Sunny, but cold this morning. Mrs Goatee was out for lunch. So what to do? I know, a bit of local exploring, obviously after picking up some worms!

Went to Hythe to check out a few places I still need to try, and got back in the van pretty quick as it was very exposed to the North East wind. Drove further on to Calshot, had a mooch about, but still, "not feeling it".

Went to my recent flounder spot and chucked out two rods that were still set for line length on the reel line clip. By that I mean that at low tide I can see exactly where the gulley is, so after casting to it, l then put the line in the line clip on the spool. Then each time l cast, l hold the rod tip high and just before l think the line is going to hit the clip, l start to lower the rod to act as a shock absorber. It works well and l know l am exactly in the spot l want. I can also sit in the van here with the radio on eating my Mortadella sarnie and drinking flask tea. All very nice, warm and comfy, but no fish. Decided to move on and collapsed the rods down with rigs and bait still on the hooks.

Drove 5 miles or so closer to home and assembled the rods. I set up my tripod and put the rods in it and fastened them in place at the top with re-usable cable ties and clip the tripod legs back in. This way I can carry them with one rod above the other using my good arm, easily across the mud and can be fishing immediately l get to the spot. Also you can get cut of by the tide at this place, but doing the same thing I can get out quick and pack up properly at the van.

Rods went out at 2 (after a test cast to remove the lines from the line clips!). I usually get an early gilt head bream at this place so that was the real target. I set the clutches and had a quick chat with a lure fisherman who was working hard against the wind and cold. He picked up a nice bass around 3 o clock. I took that as a sign to put on fresh bait. Back out they went and checking the tide graph, I can see that we are reaching my favourite part of a rising tide, which is where the tide slows then kicks again. Its part of the way Southampton estuary works, maybe to do with the double tides we have? Anyway right on cue, my right hand rod starts dancing away. I pick up the rod and hold it high letting the 10ft flattie rod do its job of damping the runs, whilst l reel steadily, keeping good contact with the fish. I see people striking like they want to pull the fishes head off, winding like mad and pumping the fish, all a bit erratic and can result in lost fish. It has its place on bigger stuff I know. The water is shallow and the fish is changing which way its is going, which can be a dead sure sign of bream, but l am sure its not. I get it to the tide line and it has another go at getting away. It's soon on the beach and is a nice bass, which is not my target, but it made up for the cold wind! Picture taken at 3.25.
20230303_153800.jpg
20230303_170115.jpg
I am thinking of leaving, but the worms on the hooks (small size 4) are still good, so back out they go. 25 mins later the same thing happens and this fish is definitely bigger and stronger. It was stocky, with a big belly on it and longer than the first. I held it up so the lure man could see it and he gave me a clap whist holding his rod between his legs! Picture taken and back it goes, even though sizeable and you can take them as of Wednesday this week.
20230303_170045.jpg
My youngest girl is messaging me, asking what am I doing for tea, if mum has already eaten, and do l fancy a kebab? I have the feeling that there are more bass to be had, but l am cold so message her back to say l am leaving and will warm some plates!

,Good luck if you get out.

Another excellent write up & photos Goatee - a great read, and a nice Brace of early Bass. Well done. 🎣🎣👍👍

Back