• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Definition of beginners luck!

Stormtrooper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all.
Recently, I’ve been out with a couple of mates who have only just properly gotten into sea fishing. I’ve been helping them out a bit, suggesting purchases and showing them what’s what here and there. It’s been nice to share my experience and apparently, a little knowledge.
So, last night the three of us headed out to one of my favourite, fairly local marks.
I was first to arrive and was set up by about 7pm. With HW at 9pm, they arrived shortly after me and we were into fish from the off.
I had 2 dogs and a whiting in my first 2 casts! Both Gary and Will were soon catching as well, Will still over the moon with everything he catches, especially dogs, so they were both happy as the night went on.
I was sitting in my bivvy when I noticed Gary, in the next groin, walk down to the shore line to cast. Without any prompting, he’d decided to cast out a live whiting about 15yds.
We’d discussed this on a previous session and I showed him how I bait a live fish up that seems to work and keep them swimming around. I did have to add however, that I’d never actually had any success doing this and have never actually caught a fish on a live bait. (Well, not deliberately anyway!!)
About 15-20mins later, I saw Gary spring up and his rod arched over as he lifted in. Now, I didn’t think too much of it at this point, his rods aren’t the best money can buy by any standard and a little floppy ….and, I hadn’t realised it was the live bait rod either.
Moments later and he screams, “yes!! I’ve got my first bass!!” Still not thinking too much, I called out “well done mate” and started to stroll towards him to show him how to handle it and unhook it.
As I got nearer and could see over the groin, I suddenly realised he’d actually landed a very nice fish!!
The excitement of the lads was awesome as I got the fish unhooked and ran to grab my measure and scales. At 4lbs 1oz and 56cm on a live bait, that’s not a bad way to open your bass account!! Jammy feck!!!

We fished on as the tide ebbed. The whiting were fairly relentless so we were all busy as the conversation about the bass continued.
At nearly two hours down, I had a much better pull, far slower and more reserved than the frantic whiting frenzy was presenting. There had been a bit of weed throughout so I wasn’t sure if it was just a bigger lump or actually even, a better fish. In the end, I decided to find out.
It was heavy from the off but wasn’t giving anything away until about 60yds out when I had a couple of very distinctive pulls.
Ray on!
About frickin’ time!! I’ve been trying for a ray for at least two weeks now as I’ve been sure they’ve been around. I didn’t say anything to the lads until it was safely in my hand and I was walking back to my tripod, I didn’t want to jinx it!!
A lovely female and looked bigger than it’s actual weight, she went 5lbs on the nose.
The guys were really happy to have seen one landed and I was absolutely made up to have chalked up my 35th ray of the year. It’s not been an easy year in my opinion.
There’s nothing much more to report from the rest of the night other than a couple of fairly big whiting up to 37cm. We all caught though and all went home happy having had a good few laughs and a few decent fish.
0A9A96D6-A9B3-46DE-AE53-CAF209FCFF7E.jpeg8E732CB9-9E80-4043-BDB1-08443F1FC04A.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all.
Recently, I’ve been out with a couple of mates who have only just properly gotten into sea fishing. I’ve been helping them out a bit, suggesting purchases and showing them what’s what here and there. It’s been nice to share my experience and apparently, a little knowledge.
So, last night the three of us headed out to one of my favourite, fairly local marks.
I was first to arrive and was set up by about 7pm. With HW at 9pm, they arrived shortly after me and we were into fish from the off.
I had 2 dogs and a whiting in my first 2 casts! Both Gary and Will were soon catching as well, Will still over the moon with everything he catches, especially dogs, so they were both happy as the night went on.
I was sitting in my bivvy when I noticed Gary, in the next groin, walk down to the shore line to cast. Without any prompting, he’d decided to cast out a live whiting about 15yds.
We’d discussed this on a previous session and I showed him how I bait a live fish up that seems to work and keep them swimming around. I did have to add however, that I’d never actually had any success doing this and have never actually caught a fish on a live bait. (Well, not deliberately anyway!!)
About 15-20mins later, I saw Gary spring up and his rod arched over as he lifted in. Now, I didn’t think too much of it at this point, his rods aren’t the best money can buy by any standard and a little floppy ….and, I hadn’t realised it was the live bait rod either.
Moments later and he screams, “yes!! I’ve got my first bass!!” Still not thinking too much, I called out “well done mate” and started to stroll towards him to show him how to handle it and unhook it.
As I got nearer and could see over the groin, I suddenly realised he’d actually landed a very nice fish!!
The excitement of the lads was awesome as I got the fish unhooked and ran to grab my measure and scales. At 4lbs 1oz and 56cm on a live bait, that’s not a bad way to open your bass account!! Jammy feck!!!

We fished on as the tide ebbed. The whiting were fairly relentless so we were all busy as the conversation about the bass continued.
At nearly two hours down, I had a much better pull, far slower and more reserved than the frantic whiting frenzy was presenting. There had been a bit of weed throughout so I wasn’t sure if it was just a bigger lump or actually even, a better fish. In the end, I decided to find out.
It was heavy from the off but wasn’t giving anything away until about 60yds out when I had a couple of very distinctive pulls.
Ray on!
About frickin’ time!! I’ve been trying for a ray for at least two weeks now as I’ve been sure they’ve been around. I didn’t say anything to the lads until it was safely in my hand and I was walking back to my tripod, I didn’t want to jinx it!!
A lovely female and looked bigger than it’s actual weight, she went 5lbs on the nose.
The guys were really happy to have seen one landed and I was absolutely made up to have chalked up my 35th ray of the year. It’s not been an easy year in my opinion.
There’s nothing much more to report from the rest of the night other than a couple of fairly big whiting up to 37cm. We all caught though and all went home happy having had a good few laughs and a few decent fish.
View attachment 35704View attachment 35703
Side Eye Dog 20112022172141.jpg

Great report & photos as always Stormzy! Nice Bass for your mate Gary, and a splendid Ray for you too. 🎣🎣 (y) (y)

Looks like your mate Gary has got my headtorch - the only other one I have seen posted!

Great report & photos as always Stormzy! Nice Bass for your mate Gary, and a splendid Ray for you too. 🎣🎣 (y) (y)

Looks like your mate Gary has got my headtorch - the only other one I have seen posted!
He mentioned getting a new one but I asked why?! It works fine and he can see what his doing well enough with it. Too many people get preoccupied with having a light to rival the sun!! No need imo.
I told him he’d be better saving the money towards better rods or reels!!

He mentioned getting a new one but I asked why?! It works fine and he can see what his doing well enough with it. Too many people get preoccupied with having a light to rival the sun!! No need imo.
I told him he’d be better saving the money towards better rods or reels!!
Pleased as punch with my Olight headtorch. They aren't cheap, but somebody tipped me off about a half price Christmas offer a couple of years ago. I think it's got at least 3 brightness settings, and the lowest setting is fine for most things. It's a useful torch too, as it detaches from the headband. (y) (y)

Back