• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Devon catch up and lure fishing tackle review

Flipper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
A couple of LRF sessions targeting scad and herring in a large Devon Estuary showed that there are loads of joey mackerel around, even in darkness which I still find weird for some bizarre reason. The second session also highlighted a load of small garfish around which not to put too fine a point on it are a pain in the arse. However, the thought process occurred to me that if the mackerel and garfish were around and feeding hard then maybe bass would be too so a dawn session at high tide today on a decent tide would hopefully prove successful. Got to the mark very early and about 5th cast in pitch black conditions resulted in a better sized Gar which made my heart sink as if they were around I doubted the bass would get a look in or they would be stuffed with all this natural food around. Again, the mackerel and gar along with my ever present surface lure nemesis, gulls, defeated me. A change back to my LRF jigging gear resulted in more mackerel, gar, but also some gurnard and schoolies.

Not a very exciting report, but, still catching on my lure gear towards the end of November is a great result for me.

I bought a 9ft Savage Gear SGS2 light game rod about a month ago and absolutely love it, using my preferred 10 and 15g zetz jigs is an absolute joy. It is so sensitive you can feel the gar hitting the jig as it falls through the water column, casting is easy and far better than my shorter LRF rods, plus cheap as chips, about £70. I wouldn’t use it for surface lures, but, jigs, small plugs and even light jigs heads it works a treat and I can thoroughly recommend it.

I like your local estuary, that don’t look local to Plymouth ours are full of mud
The large Devon Estuary is one very local to you?? the beach mark was a bit further, but, the clarity was incredible, just like fishing in July especially with the summer species being caught. Think the coming NE winds and cold may change things, but, who knows this year.

Ah so you at a beach that explains the pebble’s, the water clarity at my mark on Friday was clear

Back