• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Diawa 7ht issue

ouchthathurt

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
One of my Diawa 7ht millionaire multipliers (black one) has developed a slight fault, when casting, I depress the casting/free spool mechanism button thingy and it casts fine, yet it doesn’t immediately re-engage when turning the handle afterwards, my other two do, but one now takes up to 6-8 turns of the handle before it re-engages. Any one got any ideas why this may be? What to do? Etc. This multi does need to be re-oiled, serviced, but it’s only been used 10-12 times. It’s not been dropped or abused and sounds sweet in use, no grinding/crunching/worrying sounds etc. Many thanks all.

One of my Diawa 7ht millionaire multipliers (black one) has developed a slight fault, when casting, I depress the casting/free spool mechanism button thingy and it casts fine, yet it doesn’t immediately re-engage when turning the handle afterwards, my other two do, but one now takes up to 6-8 turns of the handle before it re-engages. Any one got any ideas why this may be? What to do? Etc. This multi does need to be re-oiled, serviced, but it’s only been used 10-12 times. It’s not been dropped or abused and sounds sweet in use, no grinding/crunching/worrying sounds etc. Many thanks all.
Grease more likely making mech stick

They were serviced by the shop that sold them, he did say he had put new grease in them. As I do a lot of fishing over sand, I wonder if some sand has gummed up the mechanism? I wash them with warm soapy water and rinse them under a tap after every session, maybe that’s the wrong thing to do? Pushing grit in somehow?

You need to strip and oil them, I use 7ht STs a lot and they do require maintenance.
After every trip you need to clean off the outer parts of the reel I just use a washing up brush with clean soapy water and then rinse carefully. When they are dry, I undo the side plate split the reel and wipe the inside surfaces with paper towel and then spray them with a PTFE spray and reassemble, it takes me literally 2 mins per reel.
I then spray the whole reel with PTFE spray and wrap them in kitchen towel and put them back in their bag.
If they get immersed then its a full strip down once you get the hang of it it takes about 15 mins to strip and reassemble.
By dipping or submersion of the reel you will start noticing white marks on the inside of the sideplates, this is where you have washed salt into the reel.
Every few trips it really is well worth doing a mini strip down and cleaning the bearings, spindle and magnofuge.
They are great reels but they do need some love.
I always wrap mine up in dry microfibre of paper towel after use, I believe it wicks the salt and water away from the reel.
So no dipping them and any rinsing is done under a slow tap so you can direct the water carefully not inside the reel.
Some of mine are 7 years old and you would find it hard to pick the old ones out from the new ones.

That’s great advice mate, very many thanks. I was advised not to use WD40 in the gears/bearings as it’s too thin, but would it do for the inside plates? Where do you get PTFE spray? Sorry, not heard of it before!

Good reels for distance over sand but as per the good advice above they do need a bit of looking after. Be aware if you use soapy water you might have moved or washed the grease out making the mechanism stick. I only ever rinse reels under a cold tap myself. My 7ht Mags rarely need looking at more than once or twice a summer ( I use mk1 525's in winter)

That’s great advice mate, very many thanks. I was advised not to use WD40 in the gears/bearings as it’s too thin, but would it do for the inside plates? Where do you get PTFE spray? Sorry, not heard of it before!
To your original question, I would say it is almost certainly a blob of grease stopping the mechanism engaging when you start reeling forward. Basic strip and a wipe with a bit of kitchen roll before spraying with PTFE spray should cure the problem.

Don't use normal WD40 inside the reel. As Pete said above, the PTFE spray (also mad by the same people) is great.

I can't say that I am as careful or as rigorous as Pete with my reel care but I do rinse them off with cold water after every trip and then dry well before spraying with the PTFE spray. I do a basic strip down about every ten trips unless I have dropped the reel into the water or got a lot of sand on it and they seem to be fine that way.

I've had 7Ht black reels for years now and they are still working perfectly.

Many thanks guys, I’ll give them a good old clean and get some PTFE spray. Set my mind at ease a bit. ?

totally agree with peter ,they need some talc ,i use the 7ht mags and they run sweet as a nut with some love

I get mine from lidls but gt85 or treat yourself to some posh acf50 or there is a 3in1 ptfe spray.
I do prefer the ptfe type sprays myself it does seem to build up a protective layer over time.
I have 9 sts and use them and service them in rotation (it does have its drawbacks like doing 2KM worth of re-spooling last weekend) they all look pretty good and in a decade i have only had to replace bearings and a couple of other parts..
Look after them and they are great reels, if you dont, springs go, drag does not work....... so its worth spending a little time to get to know them.

Last edited:
Many thanks guys, I’ll give them a good old clean and get some PTFE spray. Set my mind at ease a bit. ?
There are some good vids on the tube....... once you can get the handle off in 2 mins then you will see its actually quite easy to get inside and clean and grease.

Back