• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Ding Ding... Round 2 ?

Si-fly

Reaction score
Hi all, now I was looking to have a round 2.....local / landlocked match...?... But he seems to have stayed inland this week? so I'll just round up the last trip and stick up the round one pics, and call the match over ?

After a few days away with the misses and a quiet weekend, I was keen to get out again, and after getting some info off a good mate I hatched a plan!

I was going to try a spot I haven't fished in 30 years.... Hopefully finding a hound!

But this is not really a good spot, has very limited fishing, so with the nature of hounds moving all the time, I wasn't that confident of catching. Because of this I decided to pop out early and see some mate already out on a nearby mark, and get a quick hour here before a move and a wait for high water.

Rods out, and the lads came over for a chat... It wasn't going great, a bass and a small ray between them. Not looking good but with the wind picking up it looked bassy.... And I soon had a rattle and landed a tiny bass.... A start ?
Added half a worm. (only had 6 and some bits) and cast back out.

5 mins later as I was moving my box back, I noticed the line on 1 rod was on the deck!!..... Arrr.... Wind like mad and finally catch up with something better!

A little scrap and a plump bass around 3lb+
IMG_20210712_172716~2_resize_31.jpg
Lovely, happy with that.
The next rattle I left until I packed 10 mins later, finding a bit of weight on the end, it turned out to be 2 more tiny bass on the pennel setup!.... Winding in the 2nd rod also had another tiny bass.... These all around 10 oz.

Happy with 5 bass it was back to the van for a sandwich and coffee and off to Mk 2.

I slowly walked out, thinking how much it had changed over the years.... The sea certainly smashes things up if left alone!

Arriving just in time to see the bottom, I picked a spot with a shortish cast onto cleaner ground and put a crab and squid bait out.

30 years ago, it only produced on the ebb, so while baits were out, I was just killing time tbh, and hoping something would show later.
High came and went and dark descended. IMG_20210712_212325~2_resize_90.jpg
I got a nice shot of the trusty Fireblades in the sunset..... Love these rods, I hammer them and they take it all ?

Still nothing, and the sea level was starting to drop... Now or never, so out came my last rag worm..... I was saving it for now, a monster of 20"+....proper dug snake! I cut it in 3, and out went 2 fresh baits, a straight rag, and a crab and rag.

10 mins later a rattle on straight rag.... Strap maybe?.... Another rattle.... Bit of slack... Nothing much, but a bite at least.

Another little pull so I wound down and hit it...... Oh surprise.... A bigger fish than I expected!!... It was pulling back with some power ?

Hooks!! .... Just remembered I only had 2/0 BMX on.... Had to be careful.
It sone became obvious that it was a fair sized eel... And soon it slid up the stones a short powerful beast going 16lb 4oz....happy days ?IMG_20210712_220303~2_resize_59.jpg

Out went the last chunk of rag, and with the tide rapidly dropping I was starting to tidy stuff away, winding spare rigs back on winders etc.... Then..... Click, click... And it screamed and kept going!

Love that sound, the rag was off again, and this was no eel!!
It was flying down tide, and off I went following it ?

Best scrap I've had in ages from the channel.... It took line loads of times and finally it was mine... A lovely hound going 14lb 10oz.....again on the 2/0's.

My first decent one this year. IMG_20210713_171702_065_resize_4.jpg
Shame I cut the tail out the pic, but I had to rush as it was getting shallow now!

Think I'll come back to this spot a bit sooner that 30years next time ?

For those that missed them the bass and best ray from round 1, start of the week.
Cheers si IMG_20210707_132521~3_resize_18.jpg

AirBrush_20210707173957~3_resize_94.jpg

Last edited:
Top fishing mate, very well done!

Wow! Some really nice fish there mate. Really pleased for you. Must have been a right tussle. But - as l always say to you it ain't no Tompot blenny is it. Ha, ha! Top report and pictures. Keep em coming.

Back