• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Review Don’t go far

Tatunka joe

Reaction score
Spunked £180 on this little lot the other day got a black rock 12 ft float rod for macs gar scad and a try at some mullet and 5000 size reel to go with and a few other bits and pieces rod seems perfect but that cash didn’t go far bigger fishing’s expensive orso shout out to veals ordered Monday turned up Tuesday cracking service as always !NOTE sorry about the foot ? 55A20C84-FD63-4C57-88C8-0C9700B95566.jpeg

Spunked £180 on this little lot the other day got a black rock 12 ft float rod for macs gar scad and a try at some mullet and 5000 size reel to go with and a few other bits and pieces rod seems perfect but that cash didn’t go far bigger fishing’s expensive orso shout out to veals ordered Monday turned up Tuesday cracking service as always !NOTE sorry about the foot ? View attachment 8335
That's the first step towards lure fishing. You are on the slippery slope

Yeah usually use my cobra light but at 14 ft it’s a bit to clumsy for float fishing orso want to try these flashmer cast balls out look the bBusiness be mainly for chisel for comps etc but orso want to ave a go local with bit a ground bait seen some lovely mullet caught round my area this way orso anyone got any experience with the cast balls much appreciated ?

Yeah usually use my cobra light but at 14 ft it’s a bit to clumsy for float fishing orso want to try these flashmer cast balls out look the bBusiness be mainly for chisel for comps etc but orso want to ave a go local with bit a ground bait seen some lovely mullet caught round my area this way orso anyone got any experience with the cast balls much appreciated ?
May good for golf or tennis Joe - just jesting ;)

Never tried them myself, always just use a slider but I know peeps do quite well with them don’t they?

I want to try and do a bit of chesil float fishing this year. On a calmer day when the whitebait are in you won’t need to put it very far to get the macs, gars and scad, plus bass potentially.
It’s a good option when the spiders are stripping everything else.

With the float for gars the bait only needs to be in the top 2/3 feet of water , there was some floats that was weighted , and they would cast a long way , ps next time I come up I will bring my lures for you to try , ???

they are good if you want to fish shallow for gars or macks, not really any good if you want a bit of depth though. decent for lie sandeel or blennies for bass as well. I used them a lot in Portugal spinning for TL mullet with a little blade spinner and maddies. They are ok for towing redgills as well

they are good if you want to fish shallow for gars or macks, not really any good if you want a bit of depth though. decent for lie sandeel or blennies for bass as well. I used them a lot in Portugal spinning for TL mullet with a little blade spinner and maddies. They are ok for towing redgills as well
Yes, I assume you can’t set the depth with them, apart from by varying the length of your trace? Which obviously becomes limiting beyond a certain point.

Then again, somewhere like chesil is relatively shallow and the targets won’t be that deep. Compared with a rock mark, I mean.
A couple of years ago I was catching mackerel and scad by lobbing my feathers 20 feet max into the surf.
Saw them come in so literally did it to get a dozen for fresh bait then went back to ledgering.
Would have been fun on a light float rod though, if I’d had one at the time.

Yes, I assume you can’t set the depth with them, apart from by varying the length of your trace? Which obviously becomes limiting beyond a certain point.

Then again, somewhere like chesil is relatively shallow and the targets won’t be that deep. Compared with a rock mark, I mean.
A couple of years ago I was catching mackerel and scad by lobbing my feathers 20 feet max into the surf.
Saw them come in so literally did it to get a dozen for fresh bait then went back to ledgering.
Would have been fun on a light float rod though, if I’d had one at the time.
As they are weighted as well you can't really add lead below them to get the bait down without them tangling quite easy so I wouldn't use them for pollack or wrasse or anywhere else you wanted to get the bait down

As they are weighted as well you can't really add lead below them to get the bait down without them tangling quite easy so I wouldn't use them for pollack or wrasse or anywhere else you wanted to get the bait down
Yes I think that’s the drawback with ‘self weighted’ floats, they limit your depth options and as you say, just freelining a bait in the surface layer really.
But they do have their uses, just have to consider when/where to use them.

Yes I think that’s the drawback with ‘self weighted’ floats, they limit your depth options and as you say, just freelining a bait in the surface layer really.
But they do have their uses, just have to consider when/where to use them.
They are great for lip hooking a goby or similar on about a 3 foot trace , almost as good as li\/e sandeels but a lot easier to collect and keep ali\/e

Cheers beys good info there valley ma Bute in float fishing chisel couple of very good anglers I know once had a red letter day up ferrybrige macs gar mullet including over 50 gg mullet a big bucket of chum does wonders up there I. Right conditions even last year when float fishing and wasn’t getting a touch chopped up a few old sandeel chucked em in then within a few mins it was a gar a Chuck chisel overlooked for mullet fishing but there’s some biggins up there I’ll hopefully find out this year ?

With the float for gars the bait only needs to be in the top 2/3 feet of water , there was some floats that was weighted , and they would cast a long way , ps next time I come up I will bring my lures for you to try , ???
1 ft trace is all I use jhon but seen the match beys bringing them in 3 at a time on washing line rigs .

Back