• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Dorset gilts

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
This is my first post on this forum, stumbled across it a few weeks ago and seems to be the most active so thought I would contribute my bit.

I haven’t been out in quite a few years now for various reasons, but with a week off and a trip back to Dorset, I thought it would be rude not to dust off the rods. Only problem being the winds weren’t going to let up the entire time I was there; not fancying a difficult session I opted for a sheltered mark.

I fished with some old spinning rods and 3oz leads into what must have been 3ft of water, just small rag worm for bait. The tide was barely moving and I’ll be honest I was expecting maybe a schoolie bass was the best I could hope for.

However, first cast proved me wrong and a good solid pull down followed by a good fight on the light rods resulted in a half decent gilt. The size2 hook was almost bent out (seemed very soft) so I switched both rods over to 1/0’s.

It was bites as soon as the bait hit the water for the rest of the 2 hour session until I ran out of rag, only problem was keeping the things hooked. Nothing huge but in the end had 4 gilts. All great fun on spinning rods and as a bonus the 25mph wind was off my back the whole time.

IMG_4809.jpeg

Safe to say I’ll be back out again soon.

Firstly, welcome to TSF.
Great to see you back at it mate, and a nice little session by the looks of it, and lovely Bream. Nice one.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Welcome to the Madhouse DD! Nice Gilts! 🎣🎣👍👍

Firstly, welcome to TSF.
Great to see you back at it mate, and a nice little session by the looks of it, and lovely Bream. Nice one.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Welcome to the Madhouse DD! Nice Gilts! 🎣🎣👍👍

It's a welcome from me as well 🍻
Cheers for the welcome messages, hopefully I’ll have a few more catch reports to put up over the next few months.
Nice one! Something that’s still on my hit list!
Cheers, definitely more of them showing each year

This is my first post on this forum, stumbled across it a few weeks ago and seems to be the most active so thought I would contribute my bit.

I haven’t been out in quite a few years now for various reasons, but with a week off and a trip back to Dorset, I thought it would be rude not to dust off the rods. Only problem being the winds weren’t going to let up the entire time I was there; not fancying a difficult session I opted for a sheltered mark.

I fished with some old spinning rods and 3oz leads into what must have been 3ft of water, just small rag worm for bait. The tide was barely moving and I’ll be honest I was expecting maybe a schoolie bass was the best I could hope for.

However, first cast proved me wrong and a good solid pull down followed by a good fight on the light rods resulted in a half decent gilt. The size2 hook was almost bent out (seemed very soft) so I switched both rods over to 1/0’s.

It was bites as soon as the bait hit the water for the rest of the 2 hour session until I ran out of rag, only problem was keeping the things hooked. Nothing huge but in the end had 4 gilts. All great fun on spinning rods and as a bonus the 25mph wind was off my back the whole time.

View attachment 62019

Safe to say I’ll be back out again soon.

Good session, always good when something unexpected turns up.

Cheers, yes mate thought I’d carry the name over just in case someone recognised my catch reports haha, get out much yourself nowadays?

Great stuff, I look forward to your reports. Mainly camping and photography for me these days but i do take the rods from time to time!

Back