• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Down to the last worms

bacon

Reaction score
Went out this evening to fish over low water, didn't have time to get to my preferred tackle shop for some dug rag, so went to my other local tackle shop and got some blow lug. Not really a fan of blow lug, rarely catch anything decent on it, much prefer dug rag but this shop doesn't get it in unfortunately.

Anyway onto my mark, squid, bit of bluey and lug are the baits.

First fish was a female thorny, it caused carnage that started with a slack line then as it swam downtide it crossed my other line, got the lines seperated and off she went. Guestimated 8lb.

Second fish of the ebb was another ray, weighed this one, 7lb 14. Very very dark markings, the photo doesn't show it well unfortunately but she was almost purple.
IMG_20201212_234231.jpg

The ebb went and the flood begun, very very slow going and running out of lug, not a bite on the worm either so far.

Got down to the final cast with lugworm and loaded my pennel with an 8inch long worm bait to use it all up. Off out it went and I was starting to think about packing up my second rod to prepare for my escape off the mark when the worm rod for the first time went off!

Wound into it and I was greeted with a not half bad bit of weight and some lovely head shakes. Could it be? Didn't want to get too excited but as it surfaced it was indeed a Codling! A final cast plump codling and ever so lightly hooked.
IMG_20201213_014136.jpg

IMG_20201213_014204.jpg
It went 4lb 15oz.....my biggest codling to date, I am chuffed to bits!
Cheers

Went out this evening to fish over low water, didn't have time to get to my preferred tackle shop for some dug rag, so went to my other local tackle shop and got some blow lug. Not really a fan of blow lug, rarely catch anything decent on it, much prefer dug rag but this shop doesn't get it in unfortunately.

Anyway onto my mark, squid, bit of bluey and lug are the baits.

First fish was a female thorny, it caused carnage that started with a slack line then as it swam downtide it crossed my other line, got the lines seperated and off she went. Guestimated 8lb.

Second fish of the ebb was another ray, weighed this one, 7lb 14. Very very dark markings, the photo doesn't show it well unfortunately but she was almost purple.
View attachment 2378

The ebb went and the flood begun, very very slow going and running out of lug, not a bite on the worm either so far.

Got down to the final cast with lugworm and loaded my pennel with an 8inch long worm bait to use it all up. Off out it went and I was starting to think about packing up my second rod to prepare for my escape off the mark when the worm rod for the first time went off!

Wound into it and I was greeted with a not half bad bit of weight and some lovely head shakes. Could it be? Didn't want to get too excited but as it surfaced it was indeed a Codling! A final cast plump codling and ever so lightly hooked.
View attachment 2379

View attachment 2380
It went 4lb 15oz.....my biggest codling to date, I am chuffed to bits!
Cheers
Well done Bacon! Great report, couple of nice Rays and a PB Codling! Gotta be a good one! ??

Cheers dudes, should have mentioned but this was the BC, if it wasn't obvious by the ground of mud, rocks and weed!

Last edited:
Back