• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Down west

Live in hope

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
My self and prob what looked like half the south of England I decided Chesil was my choice of venue. Left midday with the plan to pick up some rag to bulk out the few wraps of fresh blacks I had and head back west, my thinking being abbo onwards would be packed with everyone chasing the cod.
Arrived at a quiet Cogden car park realised I pack to much crap in my box and being yo lazy to take out four of the six reels in me box proceeded to walk the footpath behind the beach and out the gate and walk back a bit. Had bites from the off getting double shots and singles of small codling around the pound mark on loop rigs. About and hour or so before high was reeling in another fish to see thus little beaut. 42737838-FC89-4AB8-B779-024E8F3169F1.jpegAfter that nice surprise a steady stream of pout, dogs and small codling along with a couple of hours of weed in the water.
Just before high changed over to a 3 hook sole rig on one with size 6 hooks with either blacks or rag. Had another sole same size as the first no pic had a bite on tother rod at time. Sent the sole rig back out and a few minutes later a small rattle bite thinking more pout started to reel in and a good weight on the end suddenly woke up and decided it wanted to make an issue of things in the back wash next decent wave and some persuasion and this fella appeared.6F74A9C0-5A95-436B-AD10-457A581D42A9.jpegcoming in a fart over 5lb and lip hooked. Happy with that bites continued but after pout number oh ffs not another I called it a wrap. Glad I went down east now plenty of room to yourself.

Last edited:
My self and prob what looked like half the south of England I decided Chesil was my choice of venue. Left midday with the plan to pick up some rag to bulk out the few wraps of fresh blacks I had and head back west, my thinking being abbo onwards would be packed with everyone chasing the cod.
Arrived at a quiet Cogden car park realised I pack to much crap in my box and being yo lazy to take out four of the six reels in me box proceeded to walk the footpath behind the beach and out the gate and walk back a bit. Had bites from the off getting double shots and singles of small codling around the pound mark on loop rigs. About and hour or so before high was reeling in another fish to see thus little beaut. View attachment 32343After that nice surprise a steady stream of pout, dogs and small codling along with a couple of hours of weed in the water.
Just before high changed over to a 3 hook sole rig on one with size 6 hooks with either blacks or rag. Had another sole same size as the first no pic had a bite on tother rod at time. Sent the sole rig back out and a few minutes later a small rattle bite thinking more pout started to reel in and a good weight on the end suddenly woke up and decided it wanted to make an issue of things in the back wash next decent wave and some persuasion and this fella appeared.View attachment 32344coming in a fart over 5lb and lip hooked. Happy with that bites continued but after pout number oh ffs not another I called it a wrap. Glad I went down east now plenty of room to yourself.
Great session lovely cod and sole well done

Arrived at a quiet Cogden car park realised I pack to much crap in my box and being yo lazy to take out four of the six reels in me box proceeded to walk the footpath behind the beach and out the gate and walk back a bit. Had bites from the off getting double shots and singles of small codling around the pound mark on loop rigs. About and hour or so before high was reeling in another fish to see thus little beaut. View attachment 32343After that nice surprise a steady stream of pout, dogs and small codling along with a couple of hours of weed in the water.
Just before high changed over to a 3 hook sole rig on one with size 6 hooks with either blacks or rag. Had another sole same size as the first no pic had a bite on tother rod at time. Sent the sole rig back out and a few minutes later a small rattle bite thinking more pout started to reel in and a good weight on the end suddenly woke up and decided it wanted to make an issue of things in the back wash next decent wave and some persuasion and this fella appeared.View attachment 32344coming in a fart over 5lb and lip hooked. Happy with that bites continued but after pout number oh ffs not another I called it a wrap. Glad I went down east now plenty of room to yourself.
Nice bag..... Good to see a better one!
You gotta love chesil!

Last edited:
Gagging to up there but been boat fishing all weekend solid bag of fish there mate ?????

Great result that . I do like fishing cogden . Looks like chesil is waking up big time

Gagging to up there but been boat fishing all weekend solid bag of fish there mate ?????
Great result that . I do like fishing cogden . Looks like chesil is waking up big time
Great report and not just chips and peas for tea ?well done.
Certainly seems to be waking up and plenty of fish about so def worth a trip up there. Always liked Cogden as the walk puts some off and just goes to show the codling are all along there at the min. Talking to a lad who fished the deep end during the day and had a fair few chip suppers down there along with red mullet and a couple of triggers. Forgot to mention had majority of the fish to single rag baits including the sole that was fished along side fresh blacks.

Nice one, cracking session!

Must get down there somewhere myself, if I can ever find the time.

Good to see a bigger cod coming out.

Great report & photos LIH! Lovely Cod & a nice Sole! ????

Back