• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Drop nets?

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all, in the market for a new net after my previous version of the one below sank without trace when the rope snapped.

I will probably purchase this again though as it lasted a good few years but the down side was the cords (and then main rope) seemed to perish. A couple of years ago the corner cords were snapping in my hands like cotton and I replaced with nylon cord.
The rope seemed fine, otherwise I would have replaced that too.

The benefits of this one is it’s light and big enough to accommodate something like a hound.

I’ve looked at others online and although they looked better, there was no great size to them.

Any thoughts on alternatives before I buy this one? I haven’t got time/skill/CBA to bother faffing with home made versions, that’s not my forte!

Can't offer a lot to add to the 'net' result! Looks like a good sized net so that would seem a good option, but maybe replace the cords & rope with something stronger from the outset?
I'd looked at getting a drop net, but in honesty, I rarely fish from locations with a deep drop into the water, and 'MB' has rocks on which the pier is built that span outwards, so you'd be looking at 4 metres out before the net was in clear water. Idea cancelled!

Can't offer a lot to add to the 'net' result! Looks like a good sized net so that would seem a good option, but maybe replace the cords & rope with something stronger from the outset?
I'd looked at getting a drop net, but in honesty, I rarely fish from locations with a deep drop into the water, and 'MB' has rocks on which the pier is built that span outwards, so you'd be looking at 4 metres out before the net was in clear water. Idea cancelled!
Cheers Dave. The original was okay for a fair few years, then didn’t use it for a bit and discovered the perished cords when it did go out again. Possibly salt water rot?

I did think of replacing them from the get go but tbh I reckon it would be fine for 2-3 years as is, however now I’m aware I’d test it occasionally.

Really the only mark it gets regular use is the one from my last report, but it’s handy to have to hand if I need one.
Agreed ref rocks, there’s usually some sort of barrier or rock lip that makes a drop net impractical on so many marks.

Cheers Dave. The original was okay for a fair few years, then didn’t use it for a bit and discovered the perished cords when it did go out again. Possibly salt water rot?

I did think of replacing them from the get go but tbh I reckon it would be fine for 2-3 years as is, however now I’m aware I’d test it occasionally.

Really the only mark it gets regular use is the one from my last report, but it’s handy to have to hand if I need one.
Agreed ref rocks, there’s usually some sort of barrier or rock lip that makes a drop net impractical on so many marks.
Slightly off topic, but a very nice man many years ago gave me a huge drum of 5mm nylon type rope.
They use it for pulling cables through underground ducting, and apparently are only allowed to use it once.
There must have been quite a few Kms on a 20" drum! It's come in handy for so many things over the years, including Wifey's washing line ropes! 😁😁👍👍

That looks a decent enough drop net.
Rinsing in fresh water after use will help stop rot as will storing out of direct sunlight.
Non UV stabilised rope will break down quickly if left in the sun.
I clip a 1lb weight to the bottom of mine,(on the rare occasions I take it out) which helps stabilise it if the tide's running.

That looks a decent enough drop net.
Rinsing in fresh water after use will help stop rot as will storing out of direct sunlight.
Non UV stabilised rope will break down quickly if left in the sun.
I clip a 1lb weight to the bottom of mine,(on the rare occasions I take it out) which helps stabilise it if the tide's running.
W-w-w-wash gear?! 😱😱😱

Not something I’ve ever really done but I could try this new fangled idea 🤔

Ha, cheers. Yes a wash wouldn’t hurt although it’s never been stored in any sunlight (no shed windows!) but I suspect salt water was to blame for the deterioration.

Oh yes I clip weights on, usually about 3lb of boat leads in my case as the tide where the net gets used is very strong! Even 3lb isn’t quite enough, but it helps.

Back