• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Dungeness, hallowed ground

Shirleycodlin

I am the god of hell fire
Staff member
Reaction score
Wednesday night:
Perfect tide
Perfect weather pattern
Perfect bait

I took the walk to my favourite ever cod mark full of excitement and anticipation.
Plan executed with a live bait rig on rod 1 and 4/0 pennell on rod 2.
Baits for both were wrapped blacks, pumped Sunday evening.
Needless to say, the whiting were onto the bait in seconds.
LB fished perfectly.
Pennell was getting double shots with the occasional dog fish beating the whiting.

Session was a whiting fest.
None of decent size.

Till next time.....

Ah so I wasn’t the only person there Wed’s eve!
I fished close to the boardwalk.
First cast with lug produced a very large pout! No whiting I thought…great
2nd cast produced 3 pin whiting.
Out went a livebait rig, fished great caught the bait.
The other rod fished large squid baits for a couple of dogs and 1 better whiting.

Wednesday night:
Perfect tide
Perfect weather pattern
Perfect bait

I took the walk to my favourite ever cod mark full of excitement and anticipation.
Plan executed with a live bait rig on rod 1 and 4/0 pennell on rod 2.
Baits for both were wrapped blacks, pumped Sunday evening.
Needless to say, the whiting were onto the bait in seconds.
LB fished perfectly.
Pennell was getting double shots with the occasional dog fish beating the whiting.

Session was a whiting fest.
None of decent size.

Till next time.....

Well done for persevering SC, but as you’ll be painfully aware, you’re more likely these days to be in with a chance of a decent bass on your livebait rig. Still, at least you’ve experienced some decent cod fishing in the past, as have I, albeit my experience of the area extends back a lot further than yours, ie, to the mid 70’s until the 2000’s.

I fished mostly on the ranges between Dengemarsh and Galloways, much preferring it to the absolute mayhem that was Dungeness. Did occasionally fish in front of the power station at the far end near the switch house, but that was generally as close as I got to the point.

Had some great nights down there, with many, many doubles, sometimes several in a night. Had three mid-doubles in half an hour on one occasion, in broad daylight. On several occasions I’ve had to drop down to one rod as the cod were so numerous, you risked losing a rod to the surf if you weren’t on it straightaway. That was in the days when monopods were de rigeur, nowhere near as secure as the tripods used today.

Ah well, just have to console myself with the memories, as despite generally maintaining an optimistic outlook on life, I fear that in regard to the likelihood of seeing those heady days returning, the outlook is bleak. Still, I applaud your resolve in giving it a go and if I lived closer to Dungeness, I would also be giving it a crack as well, if only for old time’s sake. Cheers, Bob.

Last edited:
As far as the British public is concerned I believe we can make do with farmed bass, bream and rainbow trout, and cod from the managed Icelandic fishing stocks.

Ban all commercial fishing that uses nets in UK waters then wait at least five years.

Just imagine that happening; uproar from the tiny industry that is UK based commercial fishing, conflict at sea with the European fishing fleet.

Bring it on.

As far as the British public is concerned I believe we can make do with farmed bass, bream and rainbow trout, and cod from the managed Icelandic fishing stocks.

Ban all commercial fishing that uses nets in UK waters then wait at least five years.

Just imagine that happening; uproar from the tiny industry that is UK based commercial fishing, conflict at sea with the European fishing fleet.

Bring it on.
Farming fish is not a true answer - the fishmeal and krill industry that the current systems rely on for feed is out of control too. Factor in the the other environmental factors that aquaculture as it stands is plagued with and it becomes clear that it is not a long term solution for anything or anyone.

If only the entire planet would stop expecting the seas to take continued plundering 24/7/365 stocks would undoubtedly bounce back to a better, more sustainable state. Probably not back to the stock levels of the previous turn ot the century though as our trail of (still increasing) pollution is also a limiting factor on productivity.

Good effort Shirl, you put the hours in, and that elusive Cod will arrive soon mate, well I hope so anyway.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Farming fish is not a true answer - the fishmeal and krill industry that the current systems rely on for feed is out of control too. Factor in the the other environmental factors that aquaculture as it stands is plagued with and it becomes clear that it is not a long term solution for anything or anyone.

If only the entire planet would stop expecting the seas to take continued plundering 24/7/365 stocks would undoubtedly bounce back to a better, more sustainable state. Probably not back to the stock levels of the previous turn ot the century though as our trail of (still increasing) pollution is also a limiting factor on productivity.
Your not stopping me from getting my Birds Eye cod fish fingers..🙄

Good effort Shirl, you put the hours in, and that elusive Cod will arrive soon mate, well I hope so anyway.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.
I've got to be honest, I really don't put the hours in like I used to.
No cod since 2016 gets a bit depressing for full on sessions.
I now fish hit n run style.
Optimum weather, tide, bait and time.
1 to 3 hours fishing as a rule.

If only the entire planet would stop expecting the seas to take continued plundering 24/7/365 stocks would undoubtedly bounce back to a better, more sustainable state. Probably not back to the stock levels of the previous turn ot the century though as our trail of (still increasing) pollution is also a limiting factor
Couldn't agree more but something has to change and starting with our own 12 mile limit would be a good place.
Have a look at what Iceland did in the 1970s.

I've got to be honest, I really don't put the hours in like I used to.
No cod since 2016 gets a bit depressing for full on sessions.
I now fish hit n run style.
Optimum weather, tide, bait and time.
1 to 3 hours fishing as a rule.
That's the reason I gave up bait fishing
And started lure fishing
No looking back

Back