• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Dusting off the cobwebs

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I’ve not been out for weeks. Partly busy with work and other stuff, partly CBA to be honest.

But this weekend is my club’s 48 hour comp, timed so those of us who want to can fish the Putsborough Open tonight as well.

Then @Christurner got in touch and asked if I fancied trying for ray on saunton beach last night. Well it was after the comp start so why not? Relatively easy fishing too.

We met in the car park at 9.30 and two of my mates from the club appeared too, great minds and all that.

They set up about where we might have gone, but it’s a huge beach so we just walked up a bit further.

Not that many people about apart from a few having drinkies at the top of the beach, a long way from us.

Nice sunset….

IMG_6489.jpeg

The word was hounds were about but not much in the way of ray, so we’d both brought crab too.
I must admit I was out of practice and seemed to take forever to get set up, but eventually sandeel was in the water on one rod and spider peeler on the other.
It was so calm, you could wade out 100 yards before casting and even then the water was at mid thigh at most!

It started a little slow. We had a dog each, then Chris had a heavily pregnant hound about 7/8lb that he returned swiftly.
I had a massive slack line bite on crab that I didn’t see as I was sorting spare rigs, but all encouraging signs!

The moon was VERY bright!

IMG_6491.jpeg

The hound action picked up as the night went on and although it wasn’t non stop, we had hounds or hound bites throughout the session.
Very finicky rattles and drop backs though, no real runs at all.

Chris finished up on six hounds up to 8lb, lost one or two and several dogs as well as a small SE ray.

I only managed three hounds, nothing bigger than about 6lb and four or five dogs (wasn’t really counting those!)

I dropped two including one that felt much better although it was a weird fight so he or she may have been arse hooked 😬

No great fish pics sorry. This was my first about 4-5lbs…

IMG_6493.jpeg

I don’t know if Chris has any he can post up?

Turned out my club mates did better, with the best hound over 11lb and a small eyed of nearly 6lb.

It was good to get out anyway and hopefully I might do better on the ray tonight!

I’ve not been out for weeks. Partly busy with work and other stuff, partly CBA to be honest.

But this weekend is my club’s 48 hour comp, timed so those of us who want to can fish the Putsborough Open tonight as well.

Then @Christurner got in touch and asked if I fancied trying for ray on saunton beach last night. Well it was after the comp start so why not? Relatively easy fishing too.

We met in the car park at 9.30 and two of my mates from the club appeared too, great minds and all that.

They set up about where we might have gone, but it’s a huge beach so we just walked up a bit further.

Not that many people about apart from a few having drinkies at the top of the beach, a long way from us.

Nice sunset….

View attachment 45718

The word was hounds were about but not much in the way of ray, so we’d both brought crab too.
I must admit I was out of practice and seemed to take forever to get set up, but eventually sandeel was in the water on one rod and spider peeler on the other.
It was so calm, you could wade out 100 yards before casting and even then the water was at mid thigh at most!

It started a little slow. We had a dog each, then Chris had a heavily pregnant hound about 7/8lb that he returned swiftly.
I had a massive slack line bite on crab that I didn’t see as I was sorting spare rigs, but all encouraging signs!

The moon was VERY bright!

View attachment 45719

The hound action picked up as the night went on and although it wasn’t non stop, we had hounds or hound bites throughout the session.
Very finicky rattles and drop backs though, no real runs at all.

Chris finished up on six hounds up to 8lb, lost one or two and several dogs as well as a small SE ray.

I only managed three hounds, nothing bigger than about 6lb and four or five dogs (wasn’t really counting those!)

I dropped two including one that felt much better although it was a weird fight so he or she may have been arse hooked 😬

No great fish pics sorry. This was my first about 4-5lbs…

View attachment 45720

I don’t know if Chris has any he can post up?

Turned out my club mates did better, with the best hound over 11lb and a small eyed of nearly 6lb.

It was good to get out anyway and hopefully I might do better on the ray tonight!
Nice one chap

Great report Mr Fish. Nice pics as well mate... 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Nice report & great photos Mr Feesh! 🎣🎣(y)(y)

Been busy, so still some threads I haven't had chance to catch up with, hence the late post!

Back