• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Early Morning Rays

Shirleycodlin

I am the god of hell fire
Staff member
Reaction score
Its 4am and I am fast asleep and dreaming of monster Norwegian Cod when I am disturbed from slumber. I hear a faint voice from somewhere. As my body awakens I realise it is my partner Jax who has awoken me and I mumble a 'morning gorgeous'.
'Ive made you a coffee, but you probably dont want it! is the reply, followed by 'Im off to work'

I hear a 'Love you' followed by the sound of the front door closing.
I am just about to shut my eyes and go back to sleep when I smell the coffee. A few sips and I am awake and wondering what to do for the day. My first thought is to go out to the garage and continue sharpening chisels. (Yes, I live such an exciting life!) But on my way to the garage I think, hum, I wonder what the tides are like. A quick scan in the book reveals that low water is around 5am. I go outside, not a breath of wind but it is quite nippy.
Before sane thoughts reach my brain I have loaded my tackle into the van along with a pack of bluey.

Back indoors and I begin to have second thoughts about the stupidity of it all but force myself to get moving and change into some suitable thermal's and leave the house.
I sit in the van thinking of going vs not going but once again force myself to go.
10 minutes later and I am out of the van and my fingers are frozen as I load myself up and nip up over the sea wall and then down across the sand. Arriving pretty much on the turn of the tide I am quickly set up, today using a pair of Primo Syncro's and green Mag elites. Having not swung a lead for a while, I ease myself into a gentle pendulum cast and send the bait out around 100 yds. Second cast I wade out a little way, going slow and steady in the cold darkness all the while sensing for a rogue wave that may cause me some annoyance, like drowning for example! All is good as I continue to wade out, the water shallowing as I edge up a sand bar. With the water back around my knees I wind up a more powerful cast, this time sending a small bluey bait about 150yds into the darkness. By the time I wade ashore and put the rod on the rest, the reel is pretty empty! If I hook something that decides to run (unlikely) Ill have to follow it!
With time approaching bait change o'clock I get a little rattle on the distance rod, so wind in the closer one first. Result, a crab chewed bait. Fresh bluey on and cast back out, this time to the inside gully, about 50 yrds. The distance rod then gets wound in to find a dogfish lip hooked by the top circle hook of the pennell rig I am using. With the tide on its way in I know I wont be wading far as the inner gully will be a bit deep, especially in the dark so I walk out to knee depth before letting fly a well executed cast. Its funny how the muscles remember what to do!

Two bait up's later and the tide is coming in quickly and I constantly being pushed further up the beach. No bites are signalled and at 7:30am as day light filters through the clouds I pack up and head home. Rayless!

Considering how I have lost my angling mojo these last 5 years (Lack of Cod, I wont chase fish that are not there or travel to catch a few small ones further up country) and how I literally had to force myself to go this morning, I actually enjoyed myself. Ok, it was just for a few hours, but sometimes that is enough.IMG_20201229_063935.jpg

Good effort mate funny that some times we lose are joy of fishing till we are actually there and you didn’t blank happy days ???

Its 4am and I am fast asleep and dreaming of monster Norwegian Cod when I am disturbed from slumber. I hear a faint voice from somewhere. As my body awakens I realise it is my partner Jax who has awoken me and I mumble a 'morning gorgeous'.
'Ive made you a coffee, but you probably dont want it! is the reply, followed by 'Im off to work'

I hear a 'Love you' followed by the sound of the front door closing.
I am just about to shut my eyes and go back to sleep when I smell the coffee. A few sips and I am awake and wondering what to do for the day. My first thought is to go out to the garage and continue sharpening chisels. (Yes, I live such an exciting life!) But on my way to the garage I think, hum, I wonder what the tides are like. A quick scan in the book reveals that low water is around 5am. I go outside, not a breath of wind but it is quite nippy.
Before sane thoughts reach my brain I have loaded my tackle into the van along with a pack of bluey.

Back indoors and I begin to have second thoughts about the stupidity of it all but force myself to get moving and change into some suitable thermal's and leave the house.
I sit in the van thinking of going vs not going but once again force myself to go.
10 minutes later and I am out of the van and my fingers are frozen as I load myself up and nip up over the sea wall and then down across the sand. Arriving pretty much on the turn of the tide I am quickly set up, today using a pair of Primo Syncro's and green Mag elites. Having not swung a lead for a while, I ease myself into a gentle pendulum cast and send the bait out around 100 yds. Second cast I wade out a little way, going slow and steady in the cold darkness all the while sensing for a rogue wave that may cause me some annoyance, like drowning for example! All is good as I continue to wade out, the water shallowing as I edge up a sand bar. With the water back around my knees I wind up a more powerful cast, this time sending a small bluey bait about 150yds into the darkness. By the time I wade ashore and put the rod on the rest, the reel is pretty empty! If I hook something that decides to run (unlikely) Ill have to follow it!
With time approaching bait change o'clock I get a little rattle on the distance rod, so wind in the closer one first. Result, a crab chewed bait. Fresh bluey on and cast back out, this time to the inside gully, about 50 yrds. The distance rod then gets wound in to find a dogfish lip hooked by the top circle hook of the pennell rig I am using. With the tide on its way in I know I wont be wading far as the inner gully will be a bit deep, especially in the dark so I walk out to knee depth before letting fly a well executed cast. Its funny how the muscles remember what to do!

Two bait up's later and the tide is coming in quickly and I constantly being pushed further up the beach. No bites are signalled and at 7:30am as day light filters through the clouds I pack up and head home. Rayless!

Considering how I have lost my angling mojo these last 5 years (Lack of Cod, I wont chase fish that are not there or travel to catch a few small ones further up country) and how I literally had to force myself to go this morning, I actually enjoyed myself. Ok, it was just for a few hours, but sometimes that is enough.View attachment 3178
At least you got out!!! I am the same these days with shore fishing,when I do go I still catch but would rather get cold and wet on a boat than standing on the shore.

I know exactly how you feel, I fear good fishing abroad has ruined the shore fishing at home. Well done for getting out!!

Back to your best on the story telling, alas I think you will have to wait for Norway for your preferred prey. Roll on the re emergence of the cod diaries. Well done Alex hopefully those special days will return sooner rather than later..

Beautifully written report, Shirley. You should go more often, just so I can read about your exploits.

D.

Excellent report Mr codling, always remember it's ok thinking or wishing of other far flung places but kent is an amazing place and it can produce some amazing catches, although it's not like it used to be you've still got to be in it to win it.
Tight lines as always.

Excellent report and pictures, well done for getting and enjoying it (y)

Back