• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Early morning sesh

bananas

Reaction score
Had couple hours on the breakwater this lovely crisp sunny morning, it was slow going compared to recent trips here, only 4 Mackerel, a huge Herring, lots a small Whiting and a new one for the year a Grey Gurnard. There was quite a few Dolphins in the harbour feeding, leaping out the water and generally having a fun time. but when they decided to leave, the bites dried right up.
Was very warm on the walk back to the car, just glad I didnt have a huge bag a fish to carry back.

Nice session Bob. I saw the photo of the Gurnard on your species hunt - pretty Fish & great photo. No Sunshine here - looking very grey!

Nice session, welldone on the gurnard,was have you tried baited sabikis bumped along the bottom for gurnard???

Jealous of the herring, one of the finest eating fish there is. Simply coated in oat-meal and pan fried in butter till golden brown.
Not one of my favourite fish I have to say and the dogs not fussed so he went back for some one else to catch

have you tried baited sabikis bumped along the bottom for gurnard???
Yep have tried baited ones and yep have had a few tubs and greys on them, this chap came to a plain old sabiki, he must have been quick as he took the bottom hook and a mackerel took the top, all on the drop.

Yep have tried baited ones and yep have had a few tubs and greys on them, this chap came to a plain old sabiki, he must have been quick as he took the bottom hook and a mackerel took the top, all on the drop.
Amazing how predatory gurnards are! Offtopic but I've not seen a redbandfish for years!!

Amazing how predatory gurnards are! Offtopic but I've not seen a redbandfish for years!!
Never seen a real one, only the ones on Youtube. Hadn't even heard of them until a few years ago!

Lad at are club has caught pretty much everything going in ours seas but the closest he’s come to a redband was when he caught a 20 lb conger off a boat and the bigger coughed up 6 of them he tried counting them as a catch but he’s brother whouldnt let him ???

Back