• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Early start

Phis

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Up at six out by 6-30 Got to my spot and fishing by 7-30 first knock and it's the obligatory dog fish he went back baited up again knock straight away and it was a thornback quick photo and returned I'm starting to enjoy this. Baited up and try again just poured a coffee and the rod bent another thornback but a bit bigger. Then a small pollock, back out again big knock another thornback much bigger got it up to the jetty shook it's head and straighten the hook gutted. It was massive yer yer I know fishermans tales. Caught my breath and back out another good knock this was big I got it so far in and almost there I didn't see this one leader snapped I hung around to low tide and found the end of the leader got my gear back and another straightened hook I'm back out Thursday and I will beef up the hook size ?20211102_081713.jpg20211102_083010.jpg20211102_085811.jpg

Attachments

• 20211102_131258.jpg
    20211102_131258.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 12
Well done mate. Maybe try thicker gauge hooks rather than bigger. They look like fine wire Aberdeens.

Great report and pics. When ray fishing i usually use cox & rawle specimin, not straightened one yet

Well done mate. Maybe try thicker gauge hooks rather than bigger. They look like fine wire Aberdeens.
Cheers I will, not done much fishing for a long time and to be honest I wasn't expecting something as big it's usually small pollock or dogs I've made some rigs up with slightly thicker but similar size hooks to try tomorrow ?

Well done Phis, better than we did last time, for us just doggies and a mangled whiting. I would have thought we should be seeing a few more whiting about now though?

Well done Phis, better than we did last time, for us just doggies and a mangled whiting. I would have thought we should be seeing a few more whiting about now though?
You would think so I'm all for that if they are a good size about time I caught something I can eat ?

You would think so I'm all for that if they are a good size about time I caught something I can eat ?
We have been eating some of the bigger doggies but yet to settle on the best way of doing them, the experiment goes on.

Edit- meant to say, more normal coloured doggie than the September one.

Last edited:
We have been eating some of the bigger doggies but yet to settle on the best way of doing them, the experiment goes on.

Edit- meant to say, more normal coloured doggie than the September one.
I watched a video on skinning them I'll pass ?

Well done mate, some nice fish, shame on the losses, but with beefed up hooks, hopefully tomorrow’s session will be better luck for you

Back