• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Eel meet again

Plaicehunter

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Despite a tiny tide and filthy water, I was back on the Tamar aboard 'Piranha' again today. It soon became apparent that the floodwater had pushed the whiting out to sea, so it was down to resident fish to provide some action. At first it was just pout, one of which went down on my downtide rod with a 6/0 circle attached. Four hours later it was still wriggling and unmolested, so obviously his lucky day!
One of my online pals emailed me and I was just replying that I'd had just pout and a small strap when the heavier uptider suddenly dropped slack. I wound into an eel in the 20lb-plus class which gave me a great scrap, but sadly my attempt at a photo beside the boat was a flop. It was nearly hooked in the lower jaw and was T-barred off.
So were two more eels, one of 5-6lb and the other maybe just touching double figures. The three smaller eels fell to whole calamari, while the big one took a whole joey mackerel.
A good day's sport in unpromising conditions! PH

Well done for getting out, cracking catches again, especially given the horrendous flood water around. Out of curiosity, when do think the Tamar will start lure fishing for bass again please?

Well done for getting out, cracking catches again, especially given the horrendous flood water around. Out of curiosity, when do think the Tamar will start lure fishing for bass again please?
I fear it may be early June before it really gets going again (same with the gilts), but I think it's mostly down to water temperature. Bait in the river helps too! I'll be trying as soon as conditions look promising. PH

Well done graham you like the eels mate
I'm not really a big conger fan, John, but they fill a void when not much else is biting, and with big baits and livebait out there there is always the chance of a cod, a big bass or a ray. Conger do fight well, and it's nice to catch something which really pulls back! PH

Good on you for getting out,even though conditions weren't perfect you managed to get a few well done

We done on the eels, bet that made a right change from brining in mackerel to having some thing that's pulling back??

I fear it may be early June before it really gets going again (same with the gilts), but I think it's mostly down to water temperature. Bait in the river helps too! I'll be trying as soon as conditions look promising. PH
I reckon you might be right, but, subject to lockdown I think I am going to try from April for the Gilts, they are going to be my focus this year.

I reckon you might be right, but, subject to lockdown I think I am going to try from April for the Gilts, they are going to be my focus this year.
I spent a lot of time fishing for gilts last year and ended up with 54 to 6lb, mostly around 2lb and all from 'a local estuary'
This year I'm going to try some new ideas and hope for a double. I know they exist.
Ideally you are looking for water temperature of 15c or more, but anything over 12c is worth a try. PH

Good info and cracking numbers and best fish, many thanks. Larks at SWBaits has been most helpful, so feeling good this is going to be my year.

The "larks" at swsb is the bloke who caught the record conger?????

With no idea how to do links????
I think it was’ lakebedleads’ there’s footage of a conger at Ilfracome pier.
Better get it in quick!!??

Back