• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North West Ended a run of blanks!

CoarseanglerSteve

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
So, my sea fishing journey continues. After some initial (moderate) success, fishing lug and catching some small fish, I have been trying to get some better fish, using squid and fish baits mainly. I knew that could mean some blank sessions, but to be honest I can handle that as with each session I am learning more about the coast, tactics and casting.

I managed a couple of rays as reported in my last piece, but since then I have struggled. Still enjoyed those (3) sessions though as I had acquired a second hand Ambassadeur 6500 so have been learning to use that and am enjoying doing so, more so than using a fixed spool despite all my years of coarse fishing.

Anyway, got some peeler crab last week and have had 3 blanks using them (and trying some squid and blue), So today, with about half a dozen crab left, I decided to get up early for the 8:30 high tide. With the weather bright and warm these last few days I wasn't overly optimistic as catch reports indicated most were struggling.

So, I arrived at Cleveleys around 5 a.m. (am lucky that I live 5 minutes from the sea). Was a beautiful morning as the sun rose over the sea defences behind me. Had to wait about 30 minutes after tackling up as there was a deepish gulley in front of me that was filling, but the sand bar beyond was still dry. Didn't fancy wading through it as it was filling fast and I knew the wait wouldn't be long.

Started with crab on a pulley rig on one rod but hedged my bets with lug on the other, aiming to avoid the blank. The first hour or so was quiet but by the time I had moved back to the base of the sea defence, ready for HW, I was feeling confident. I do feel that I fish more effectively once I am settled in a more permanent place knowing I won't be retreating again!

Eventually had a bite on the crab, a rattle then a sharp drop back. I wound down and struck and felt some resistance, but not that heavy. However, as this was the first fish I had hooked on the Abu I wasn't sure of its size. To be fair it didn't fight that well until it was almost beached when it ran along the surf and broke surface, showing me that miniature shark fin.........yes, I had a smoothound, the species I had been most eager to catch since starting sea fishing. It wasn't massive, about 3.5lb or so but I was well pleased, and I christened the rod (a Daiwa Kenzaki surf - lovely rod) and reel.

Wound in the other rod and switched to pulleys on both. Was running a bit short on crab so put a prawn on the other rod.

Next cast on the crab another bite, same drop back.....struck, but nothing :mad:. Wound in ,checked the bait and recast. Within 2 minutes another bite ...struck.....rod arched around and started thumping. Again not a huge fish but definitely another hound. As fast as it was hooked it was gone, coming off within a few seconds, and that was that. No more bites but nonetheless a really pleasing session for me.

Only negative really was an unexplained crack off on the multiplier. No idea what caused it. I did manage to get the rig back though by cycling back to the mark a few hours later as the tide receded. Handy living close, but it's not so much that I am tight, but being a dog owner I hate the thought of a dog picking up a baited hook left on the beach when the tide has gone out.

Another species ticked off my list. They really are stunning fish so I'd love a bigger one! Not sure what I would like next - haven't had a bass yet so probably one of them. A few small tope and huss have been caught off the shore so one of them would be good too although I think they are pretty rare!

Tight lines, Steve.ET4pO6zURl+UtcJHrS2qGg.jpghUUOUzbaTgqPD0n1fz+VpQ.jpgfullsizeoutput_15ea.jpeg

Well done Steve, good session!

‘unexplained crack offs’ just seem to be a feature of multi fishing.

Or at least they are for me! ?

I had it on Sunday. Casting all day without thinking about it, then last cast, bit of a birdie and snap!
Tbh though it was rough ground wrassing and I was aware the line was beginning to get a bit past it. Will have to strip a load off or replace it before that reel goes out again.

Back