• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Escape to the Pier part 2.

Trampster

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I wasn't going to bother with this but thought it might give a few a laugh!

Worst ever fishing trip in my memory. Shouldn't have bothered. I voiced my thoughts to Wifey on Monday and should have stuck to them. "Lovely night with John last Tuesday, might go again this week, but I'll leave it until Thursday or more likely Friday as the tides will be a bit later & higher". Later = less people about.

John messaged me Tuesday mid-afternoon. "Dave do you fancy another trip to MB tomorrow Wednesday, high tide is 6pm so get there for 6 pm". Gave it some thought and said I'd be there, thinking I could always go on Friday too.

Got out to Mount Batten for 5.45pm - rush hour, so traffic was a nightmare, more so than usual.
Ambled down the Pier. It was heaving. Plus the tide was only a few minutes off high, so no chance of catching any shoals of Mackerel (target fish for the pan) as they came around the end of the pier on the flooding tide. When we were out there Tuesday, the only other species caught was John's few Pouting, so nothing else to target really.

1659004268811.png

The 297 metre pier (or breakwater) was built in 1881 on a bed of boulders about 1.5 metres in size and at one point was an air station for the RAF.
Bit of local history:

Tuesdays trip had reminded me that, even with the tide in, there is still about 4 metres of boulders showing, so with a short rod, you are dragging your tackle (and possible catch) across the rocks before you can lift it clear. "Take my 4.5m Conti rod" seemed like a good idea.

1659004739705.png

Having found a spot between the other Anglers & Danglers on the North (harbour) side, I started to set up the Conti rod. Problem one - couldn't find my 'lucky lures' I had used on Tuesday. Whole tackle box out on the floor - no sign of them. I also set up a 10ft Bass rod with a float to dangle some King Prawns.

It all went Pear shaped from there on.

There was a guy about 20 metres to my right float fishing, and he seemed to be taking great delight in letting his float drift down in front of me, so I couldn't risk casting out without tangling with his gear. Moving wasn't an option at the time due to the masses on the Pier.

John turned up about 6.30pm with @Ben, his Nephew. Always good to see Ben!

There is a waterside pub on the opposite side of the harbour just to the Left of Elphinestone car park, and they were pumping out deafening music. No chance of any peaceful fishing then.
I decided to move to the seaward side as there a few less anglers there, and fish from the wall. John's photo:

1659005481787.png

Ben being younger & fitter had scrambled down onto the rocks. Ben caught a Mackerel (he'd frozen about 35 a few days before), and neither him nor John wanted it, so he offered it to me. "Yes please!" so Ben put it on top of the wall for me to grab it and chuck it in the bucket. Said Mackerel was flapping about and in danger of escaping back to the wet stuff, so I quickly put the Conti rod down to grab it.
Bad move - my big Dexter wedge promptly got snagged on someone else's previously lost rig. Also, whilst this was going on, my float rig had drifted in towards the boulders, also snagged. I could see my own gear on the Conti rod was clear of the water, so tried for a break hoping the old gear would give and leave mine intact. Being on top of the wall, it wasn't happening, but thankfully Ben came to the rescue and managed to pull it free. I didn't have the heart to say to Ben "Can you pretty please pull my Float rig free too?" so I left that slack in the slim hope that it might free itself. Didn't happen.
Ben later gave it a tug for me - got the Float back but lost the hooks & weight.

Ben caught another unwanted Mackerel, so that went in my bucket too.
John was taking the proverbial about me trying to catch Mackerel with a big Conti rod, I wasn't having any luck anyway, so decided to abandon the Conti rod, put the float away, and try a Surf seeker lure on the Bass rod. All was well for an hour.

Now I'm not sure what the cause was, but I got a small tangle on the spool of the Reel on the Bass rod. 24Lb Mono & a 20Lb long Flouro leader.
"Never mind, another couple of long casts will hopefully sort it out" I thought. Didn't happen.
Then I got a huge tangle around the area of the leader knot, which I couldn't untie, and it wouldn't pass through the tip ring. Now, I could be wrong here, but wondering if the Seeker was causing line twists which built up over time and caused the tangle. Didn't have a swivel on the lure clip I had attached it with. Maybe lesson learned.

I was now losing the Love. Silly season is here with a vengeance. Too many people about. Too much noise. Got there too late really for the tide. No fish about, for me anyway. And now a massive tangle. I think John had about 3 or 4 Mackerel, and Ben had 3 but lost one down between the gaps in the rocks. Me= 0. Blank.

I decided the only way was to cut the leader knot out and untangle the mess. Meanwhile John & Ben had decided to vacate the Pier and go up around the estuary path to see if there were any Bass about. "Come and find us when you are sorted" said John.
I'd had enough. Re-tied the leader so that I could wind the line on the reel, and decided to pack up.
Meanwhile, John & Ben had returned for a few more casts, as nothing doing up around the estuary.
I got the rods, reels and tackle all packed away. Ben kindly lowered my bucket down on a rope for some water to fillet & rinse his kindly donated Mackerel. Lobbed the frames back out to sea, and headed home with chin on chest.

Might have another venture out there tomorrow - will do as last Tuesday and just take a Lure rod & the Bass rod. Should be quieter with the tide about 2hrs later. Still got to pull 100 metres off the Bass rod reel and sort out that small tangle, and the leader knot could do with re-tying again at home - patience was wearing thin last night.

The highlight of the evening was getting home, and frying up Ben's donated Mackerel fillets with B&B, & a strong G&T! Thanks Ben! Might be another (better) report Friday. I think John is out "coast fishing" on Friday at a steep mark I stand no chance of reaching.

It can only get better! If you've made it this far, many thanks for reading!

Cheers Dave ,
Always good to see Ben , what about me !
The mackerel don’t always run around the pier , about 3 hours either side of high , either side of the pier is good , just no mackerel chasing the bait fish last night , plenty of bait fish in close .It was manic there Dave but I have seen it worse. As for using a 15ft rod for tossing feathers that was always going to be hard work . If you go Friday just take one rod with some sabinkies on it with a 3oz lead that should be plenty . I will be off mountaineering on Friday at the open coast with my toys , hoping for a silver or two , you did look a bit down in the dumps last night , one rod will make it easy , put a lure clip on and you can change the feathers to lure easily, just a thought from me that is . Good luck Friday

Always good to see Ben , what about me !
Always good to see you too John, but I don't see Ben so often, unless he accosts me at his work!

As for using a 15ft rod for tossing feathers
It wasn't feathers - it was lures, but not the ones I wanted to use, & mislaid. It did solve the problem of dragging lures & tackle over the rocks before you can lift it clear.

Good luck Friday
Thanks John - same to you for Friday too. Might head down to Mount WIse instead - less people around down the far end, less traffic, and a lot less fuel from here. ????

What an eventful session, I bet you were glad to get home in the end. We all have days like that though, just got to think, next time can't be much worse, can it...?
Thanks Craig. I had similar thoughts. I had my doubts about going, as mentioned. The schools have broken up and the silly season has well & truly arrived. Trouble is, I do love eating Mackerel, and they arrive in the silly season too!

unlucky m8, the tough days just need to be endured, most of your description is why i don't fish piers

unlucky m8, the tough days just need to be endured, most of your description is why i don't fish piers
Thanks GeeJay! Unfortunately, with my chest issues, I'm limited to where I can fish. Went to a beach with a fair slope back up to the carpark last year, and nearly had to phone for help as I couldn't get my breath trying to get back up to the car. ??

Thanks GeeJay! Unfortunately, with my chest issues, I'm limited to where I can fish. Went to a beach with a fair slope back up to the carpark last year, and nearly had to phone for help as I couldn't get my breath trying to get back up to the car. ??
Yes geejay tramps was right just a gentle slope , he was done mate

Yes geejay tramps was right just a gentle slope , he was done mate
Lovely beach, know it well from my youth (!) but no fish about and I never imagined I'd have so much trouble getting back up the slope.

Found those missing Lures John, under a bag on the kitchen table. Quite how they got from my fishing box temporarily in the lounge, to the kitchen table is a mystery. ??

Lovely beach, know it well from my youth (!) but no fish about and I never imagined I'd have so much trouble getting back up the slope.

Found those missing Lures John, under a bag on the kitchen table. Quite how they got from my fishing box temporarily in the lounge, to the kitchen table is a mystery. ??
Glad you found them Dave

Top effort tramps better luck next time. Looks packed

EDIT:

Not had chance to sort out tangle on that reel today and need to sort a few bits of gear out. High tide tomorrow is 19.20 so might cancel fishing until Monday night when High tide is just after 21.00. Bound to be quieter on the Pier and traffic wise if I go out about 19.00. Wifey also wants me to try to get the grass cut over the next couple of days - weather App says showers on Sunday. ??

Well done on sticking it out Dave, hate when you get to a mark and realise its all going to go pete tong from the start.

I wasn't going to bother with this but thought it might give a few a laugh!

Worst ever fishing trip in my memory. Shouldn't have bothered. I voiced my thoughts to Wifey on Monday and should have stuck to them. "Lovely night with John last Tuesday, might go again this week, but I'll leave it until Thursday or more likely Friday as the tides will be a bit later & higher". Later = less people about.

John messaged me Tuesday mid-afternoon. "Dave do you fancy another trip to MB tomorrow Wednesday, high tide is 6pm so get there for 6 pm". Gave it some thought and said I'd be there, thinking I could always go on Friday too.

Got out to Mount Batten for 5.45pm - rush hour, so traffic was a nightmare, more so than usual.
Ambled down the Pier. It was heaving. Plus the tide was only a few minutes off high, so no chance of catching any shoals of Mackerel (target fish for the pan) as they came around the end of the pier on the flooding tide. When we were out there Tuesday, the only other species caught was John's few Pouting, so nothing else to target really.

View attachment 29933

The 297 metre pier (or breakwater) was built in 1881 on a bed of boulders about 1.5 metres in size and at one point was an air station for the RAF.
Bit of local history:

Tuesdays trip had reminded me that, even with the tide in, there is still about 4 metres of boulders showing, so with a short rod, you are dragging your tackle (and possible catch) across the rocks before you can lift it clear. "Take my 4.5m Conti rod" seemed like a good idea.

View attachment 29934

Having found a spot between the other Anglers & Danglers on the North (harbour) side, I started to set up the Conti rod. Problem one - couldn't find my 'lucky lures' I had used on Tuesday. Whole tackle box out on the floor - no sign of them. I also set up a 10ft Bass rod with a float to dangle some King Prawns.

It all went Pear shaped from there on.

There was a guy about 20 metres to my right float fishing, and he seemed to be taking great delight in letting his float drift down in front of me, so I couldn't risk casting out without tangling with his gear. Moving wasn't an option at the time due to the masses on the Pier.

John turned up about 6.30pm with @Ben, his Nephew. Always good to see Ben!

There is a waterside pub on the opposite side of the harbour just to the Left of Elphinestone car park, and they were pumping out deafening music. No chance of any peaceful fishing then.
I decided to move to the seaward side as there a few less anglers there, and fish from the wall. John's photo:

View attachment 29935

Ben being younger & fitter had scrambled down onto the rocks. Ben caught a Mackerel (he'd frozen about 35 a few days before), and neither him nor John wanted it, so he offered it to me. "Yes please!" so Ben put it on top of the wall for me to grab it and chuck it in the bucket. Said Mackerel was flapping about and in danger of escaping back to the wet stuff, so I quickly put the Conti rod down to grab it.
Bad move - my big Dexter wedge promptly got snagged on someone else's previously lost rig. Also, whilst this was going on, my float rig had drifted in towards the boulders, also snagged. I could see my own gear on the Conti rod was clear of the water, so tried for a break hoping the old gear would give and leave mine intact. Being on top of the wall, it wasn't happening, but thankfully Ben came to the rescue and managed to pull it free. I didn't have the heart to say to Ben "Can you pretty please pull my Float rig free too?" so I left that slack in the slim hope that it might free itself. Didn't happen.
Ben later gave it a tug for me - got the Float back but lost the hooks & weight.

Ben caught another unwanted Mackerel, so that went in my bucket too.
John was taking the proverbial about me trying to catch Mackerel with a big Conti rod, I wasn't having any luck anyway, so decided to abandon the Conti rod, put the float away, and try a Surf seeker lure on the Bass rod. All was well for an hour.

Now I'm not sure what the cause was, but I got a small tangle on the spool of the Reel on the Bass rod. 24Lb Mono & a 20Lb long Flouro leader.
"Never mind, another couple of long casts will hopefully sort it out" I thought. Didn't happen.
Then I got a huge tangle around the area of the leader knot, which I couldn't untie, and it wouldn't pass through the tip ring. Now, I could be wrong here, but wondering if the Seeker was causing line twists which built up over time and caused the tangle. Didn't have a swivel on the lure clip I had attached it with. Maybe lesson learned.

I was now losing the Love. Silly season is here with a vengeance. Too many people about. Too much noise. Got there too late really for the tide. No fish about, for me anyway. And now a massive tangle. I think John had about 3 or 4 Mackerel, and Ben had 3 but lost one down between the gaps in the rocks. Me= 0. Blank.

I decided the only way was to cut the leader knot out and untangle the mess. Meanwhile John & Ben had decided to vacate the Pier and go up around the estuary path to see if there were any Bass about. "Come and find us when you are sorted" said John.
I'd had enough. Re-tied the leader so that I could wind the line on the reel, and decided to pack up.
Meanwhile, John & Ben had returned for a few more casts, as nothing doing up around the estuary.
I got the rods, reels and tackle all packed away. Ben kindly lowered my bucket down on a rope for some water to fillet & rinse his kindly donated Mackerel. Lobbed the frames back out to sea, and headed home with chin on chest.

Might have another venture out there tomorrow - will do as last Tuesday and just take a Lure rod & the Bass rod. Should be quieter with the tide about 2hrs later. Still got to pull 100 metres off the Bass rod reel and sort out that small tangle, and the leader knot could do with re-tying again at home - patience was wearing thin last night.

The highlight of the evening was getting home, and frying up Ben's donated Mackerel fillets with B&B, & a strong G&T! Thanks Ben! Might be another (better) report Friday. I think John is out "coast fishing" on Friday at a steep mark I stand no chance of reaching.

It can only get better! If you've made it this far, many thanks for reading!
Put that one down to experience mate. It has happened to us all at one point or another.

On a different note, I may have walked past you whilst you were having problems as I walked the pier twice on Wednesday, once earlier in the day and again after a meal eaten in the pub.

Took a pic of this as it sailed past the end of the pier when I walked it on the previous Sunday too.

IMG_5016.jpg

Put that one down to experience mate. It has happened to us all at one point or another.

On a different note, I may have walked past you whilst you were having problems as I walked the pier twice on Wednesday, once earlier in the day and again after a meal eaten in the pub.

Took a pic of this as it sailed past the end of the pier when I walked it on the previous Sunday too.

View attachment 30172
Aw Will, didn't know you were around these parts - would have loved to say Hi. We were there from about 6pm to 9.30pm. Guessing you're home again now.

That ship is probably the Pont Aven. She does 2 trips per week from here down to Santander and a couple of short runs over to Roscoff too. She's in Roscoff this morning and due in here again at 12.45, then off to Santander at 15.45. ??

Aw Will, didn't know you were around these parts - would have loved to say Hi. We were there from about 6pm to 9.30pm. Guessing you're home again now.

That ship is probably the Pont Aven. She does 2 trips per week from here down to Santander and a couple of short runs over to Roscoff too. She's in Roscoff this morning and due in here again at 12.45, then off to Santander at 15.45. ??
I fully intended giving you a shout Dave and maybe even trying to get a fishing session together, but events took over and my strolls along the pier just turned into 'clear the head' walks. I didn't actually do any fishing whilst I was down there in the end.

Back