• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Essex Sea Fishing Marks

s6guy84

Reaction score
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone had been out beach/shore fishing recently in Essex and if so, any good spots to try over the next week?

I'm based in Chelmsford and regular past spots I've fished include Heybridge Basin, Mersey Island, Felixstowe, Southend, Erith Pier and Canvey Island....Southend is very hit and miss (plus the pier is out of action right now) and Heybridge Basin isn't open for fishing until the 13th June. Tempted by Felixstowe but if it's blowy, very difficult to fish from the beach.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

S6

Felixstowe is very good, but it depends on where you fish, the viewpoint is always quite productive and easy to fish, Manor End is another handy mark. Landgard can be awkward at times and if it is windy quite difficult to fish, Have you tried the Tendering area yet, St Osyth, Clacton, Holland, Frinto and Walton, they can all be good on their day. Personally I would give Southend a miss, there are much better places to fish. Walton Pier is probably one of the best places to fish in Essex as long as you like pier fishing.

> Personally I would give Southend a miss, there are much better places to fish.

I agree, I only fish it because I virtually live on top of the beach. That said, this summer for the first time in living memory (by all accounts) you could catch smoothhound off the beach - I only found out with a couple of weeks of them left but still managed to land a few and lose a couple of decent ones.

Even so, you can catch those and more from the Tendering area like Issy said so no reason to visit Southend if you don't have to.

Thanks for the replies, defo some areas there I haven’t yet tried...Tendering sounds good as you both mentioned it, any tips for best places to park/fish?

Thanks for the replies, defo some areas there I haven’t yet tried...Tendering sounds good as you both mentioned it, any tips for best places to park/fish?
St Osyth park at the end of the road by the Sailor Boy pub and walk to the left and fish among the groynes. Clacton there are a lot of places including the pier, parking can be iffy though in some places you can park for free on the cliff top. Holland, again there are a number of spots and most of the parking is free along the road a the top of the cliff. Frinton is much the same, Walton is a bit of a nightmare for parking though there is a public car park on the top of the hill above the pier, great to walk down but a bitch to walk up after a days fishing dragging a heavy box. I use Google maps to find a lot of these places and if you go to the street view option you can find out a lot of parking info. Look for places like Brighton Road, Holland on sea. Kingscliffe Hotel, Holland on Sea, the Golf course at Frinton, Pole Barn Lane Frinton and St Osyth (often known as Seawick or Hutleys). If you are really fit and don't mind a walk then there is always the point at St Osyths, park as above but walk right until you get to the nature reserve (signposted I believe) the fishing there i can be very good but beware it is a long walk and it is also a naturist beach so some of the scenery is a bit dodgy.

St Osyth park at the end of the road by the Sailor Boy pub and walk to the left and fish among the groynes. Clacton there are a lot of places including the pier, parking can be iffy though in some places you can park for free on the cliff top. Holland, again there are a number of spots and most of the parking is free along the road a the top of the cliff. Frinton is much the same, Walton is a bit of a nightmare for parking though there is a public car park on the top of the hill above the pier, great to walk down but a bitch to walk up after a days fishing dragging a heavy box. I use Google maps to find a lot of these places and if you go to the street view option you can find out a lot of parking info. Look for places like Brighton Road, Holland on sea. Kingscliffe Hotel, Holland on Sea, the Golf course at Frinton, Pole Barn Lane Frinton and St Osyth (often known as Seawick or Hutleys). If you are really fit and don't mind a walk then there is always the point at St Osyths, park as above but walk right until you get to the nature reserve (signposted I believe) the fishing there i can be very good but beware it is a long walk and it is also a naturist beach so some of the scenery is a bit dodgy.
Thanks for all the info once again, some great tips...will hope for some good catches when I next head out....and some nice scenery if I head towards the nudist beach :-D

Thanks for all the info once again, some great tips...will hope for some good catches when I next head out....and some nice scenery if I head towards the nudist beach :-D
You will go blind! it's all old gentlemen:sick::sick::sick:

Back