• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West few trips

bananas

Reaction score
Had a mate down from London last week for the air show here in Torbay, so on Tuesday after it we decided to do a bit a beach fishing, a quick chat with @Tatunka joe, had us on our way to Branscombe. There was a few already fishing when we got there but not much had come up, plus the spot I fancied had been taken, so a bit further up the beach we had to go.
Was very slow for the first two hours, with the only excitement being, both us being snipped off, me landing the culprit and me mate getting snagged up and losing a set.
Just before high tide I had a little movement on the tip which came from a small green eel, blank saved. Tat texted to see how we was getting on and mentioned that rays was coming out around at Seaton, larfing as he said it!!, but just as I finished reading it, my sandeel rod went over and line started peeling, fish on, a nice SE came out, not big just a couple a pounds but was a target I was hoping one of us would have. I enjoyed sending the pic back to him with a smiley face.
It all went quiet again after that with just a Dogfish for me and a small Pouting to save my mate blanking.
IMG_20230606_211915.jpg

After ken had buggered back up to the big smoke, I had a couple short sessions at my Mullet mark, only managed a couple small thin lips, as they was getting beaten to the spinner by hordes a baby Bass that are around there, think must have had about 50 of the little buggers out, plus having two better Mullet spitting the hook just as the net was in the water.
IMG_20230611_065448.jpg
He only went 1.6lb but was very welcome.
Last night I decided to have a go at Slapton to see if any hounds had arrived, the place was very busy with bathers, odd fluff chuckers and two guys netting sandeels.
Had two rods out on the bottom, one squid the other rag, the rag was getting chomp in less than 10 mins by the spiders out there and got snipped off once, so alternated that trace with sandeel, but didnt have a touch on anything, only time the rod moved was when a tinsel tosser caught me up.
I did have a few flicks my self with some sabikis and managed two Launce that had evaded the netters.
Did not see any thing else including mackerel come out, but it was exceptionally calm there, despite what the met office had said.
IMG_20230613_213026.jpg

Well done on the ray from Branscombe. I tried there on friday for either a ray or hound and failed miserably only managing a couple of dogs . Was a toss up between seaton and branscombe . Thinks i should of gone to seaton 🤔 . Branscombe a nice place to fish tho

Just be yourself mate lol.

Well done on the ray from Branscombe. I tried there on friday for either a ray or hound and failed miserably only managing a couple of dogs . Was a toss up between seaton and branscombe . Thinks i should of gone to seaton 🤔 . Branscombe a nice place to fish tho
When ever i fish one of them im always thinking, i should have gone to the other.
Unlucky on friday mate☹️

Nice report mate, some nice fish too. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Great report & nice photos Bob. Blank saved for both of you at Branscombe. Well done on the Rays. 🎣🎣👍👍

Shame, once again, Slapton isn't playing ball.
Have to confess, we're halfway through 2023, and I haven't wet a line yet. Everytime we've been out locally in recent years, the Pout have been about, but not much else, and apart from a decent few Macker, haven't had much luck at Slapton/Beesands, plus it's a 2 1/2 hr round trip in heavy traffic to get there.

Back