• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Fighting tru the weed

Tatunka joe

Reaction score
Arfter a crap 10 hr boat trip topeing on Friday and bizarrely being given the green light to go out again on sat night I decide to go up to chisel and see if I chould find a hound stoped off at Westbay for some rag as I chouldnt get any peeler (must say it’s some of the best rag I’ve ever had prefect size dark and lively rag can be so hit an miss this time of year but this stuff was banging ) on my walk to the mark numbed into some guys in there way up who gave me some more rag and Informed me it was just kicking off but they had to leave . I didn’t walk far cause I was knackered from yesterday’s exploits there was a nice chop on the sea and a nice bit of colour so hope where high set up my first rod rag and 1/4 of squid on a 5 ft pulley go to rig in rough conditions and sent it out while setting up my 2 nd rod I noticed the first had some interest so I wound down to find some decent weight but there was a lot of weed on the line so thought maybe that was it but in retrieve felt some banging si fish was there but as I got up to the leader knot the shitty weed had stoppered the line going thru si had to stop clear it then carry on eventually landing a lovey se ray around the 5 lb mark not expected but very happy to see . Because of the weed I decide to just fish one rod bang it out as far as poss then keep it high up changing baits every 15 mins or so as the weed collected on the line . I soon herd my drag go and a pounding bite and decent scrap soon resulted in my first hound of the year a lovely little fatty around the 5/6 lb mark which was soon joined by another little bugger that somehow wrapped himself round my rig . My mate and his son turned up his boys never had a shore hound and within ten mins of being there was over the moon by a nice little 5 I then noticed my rod was slack and wineding in found a good deal of resistance and trashing then it got heavyer as a big lump of kelp had found it’s way around my line a as bit of fecking around untagleing the mess it had created then I was back on the fish my mate ran down and dragged it to shore as had the same problem with weed on the leader knot . A lovey condition fish around the 7 lb mark happy days . As the light faded the wind died and the weed settled tryed for a bass or conger but the fish baits were comeing back untouched. A few pout and horrible little straps. was going to fish a few hrs more but I was hanging so stayed packing up then noticed a doggy looking bite on my rod which resulted in another lovely little small eye around the 3 /4 lb mark good end to a cracking evening. Apart from the weed really enjoyed this session and look forward to hitting chesil a bit more soon as the bream gurnard and co are full on up east 👌comp Friday local then boat comp Sunday if weather permits full on at the moment and I love it cheers ma butes 👍👍👍B2D89567-424D-46C8-B064-D8F00EDA0402.jpeg3B021952-76A1-49BA-BA93-AE8F53F589E1.jpeg27CD8899-7027-4E40-8569-1A40484E029E.jpegA1C01F17-9A06-4572-AD75-963058357CF5.jpeg77146DC6-AA7B-4C89-9CD6-872C7AB3C3AA.jpeg48CCAC76-B6E6-4A6D-8716-C9CE248E39B5.jpeg

Well done Tats you did better than us at hive you had some great fish there . The weed was a real pain at the top of the tide but eased as tide dropped . Fish didnt switch on for us only small pout and eels ., i did have this bugger on low water a right fat bugger . I packed up at 1am leaving Pete and Tom to they had the result they deserved for all the effort put in by as all .Screenshot_20230701_232102_Photos.jpg

Well done Tats you did better than us at hive you had some great fish there . The weed was a real pain at the top of the tide but eased as tide dropped . Fish didnt switch on for us only small pout and eels ., i did have this bugger on low water a right fat bugger . I packed up at 1am leaving Pete and Tom to they had the result they deserved for all the effort put in by as all .View attachment 47410
Oo nice wot did he go mate 👍look forward to hearing wot the beys had nice one mate

Great report Tats, nice mixed bag as well. Fantastic pictures too mate. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Like the other evening for me, the bloody weed is a mare at the moment.. :(

Ian.

Arfter a crap 10 hr boat trip topeing on Friday and bizarrely being given the green light to go out again on sat night I decide to go up to chisel and see if I chould find a hound stoped off at Westbay for some rag as I chouldnt get any peeler (must say it’s some of the best rag I’ve ever had prefect size dark and lively rag can be so hit an miss this time of year but this stuff was banging ) on my walk to the mark numbed into some guys in there way up who gave me some more rag and Informed me it was just kicking off but they had to leave . I didn’t walk far cause I was knackered from yesterday’s exploits there was a nice chop on the sea and a nice bit of colour so hope where high set up my first rod rag and 1/4 of squid on a 5 ft pulley go to rig in rough conditions and sent it out while setting up my 2 nd rod I noticed the first had some interest so I wound down to find some decent weight but there was a lot of weed on the line so thought maybe that was it but in retrieve felt some banging si fish was there but as I got up to the leader knot the shitty weed had stoppered the line going thru si had to stop clear it then carry on eventually landing a lovey se ray around the 5 lb mark not expected but very happy to see . Because of the weed I decide to just fish one rod bang it out as far as poss then keep it high up changing baits every 15 mins or so as the weed collected on the line . I soon herd my drag go and a pounding bite and decent scrap soon resulted in my first hound of the year a lovely little fatty around the 5/6 lb mark which was soon joined by another little bugger that somehow wrapped himself round my rig . My mate and his son turned up his boys never had a shore hound and within ten mins of being there was over the moon by a nice little 5 I then noticed my rod was slack and wineding in found a good deal of resistance and trashing then it got heavyer as a big lump of kelp had found it’s way around my line a as bit of fecking around untagleing the mess it had created then I was back on the fish my mate ran down and dragged it to shore as had the same problem with weed on the leader knot . A lovey condition fish around the 7 lb mark happy days . As the light faded the wind died and the weed settled tryed for a bass or conger but the fish baits were comeing back untouched. A few pout and horrible little straps. was going to fish a few hrs more but I was hanging so stayed packing up then noticed a doggy looking bite on my rod which resulted in another lovely little small eye around the 3 /4 lb mark good end to a cracking evening. Apart from the weed really enjoyed this session and look forward to hitting chesil a bit more soon as the bream gurnard and co are full on up east 👌comp Friday local then boat comp Sunday if weather permits full on at the moment and I love it cheers ma butes 👍👍👍View attachment 47408View attachment 47409View attachment 47407View attachment 47406View attachment 47405View attachment 47404
Just goes to show how different the temperature is between the country.. I am wearing two fleeces and the logburner is lit 🔥

Possibly it has the white patterning same as small eye but very faint @bananas @PhilR care to have a say
The last one certainly did. They definitely look like SE, just never seen such dark ones.
I’d imagine it’s to do with the ground they’re living on?

Another great report & nice photos Tats! You & that Hound in your 5th photo is a real good one! Well done Bey! 🎣🎣👍👍

Back