• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Filling the Aquarium

bananas

Reaction score
Well not quite filling it, but adding to it. Met up with Rockmarks up at Ilfracombe yesterday, he said a few Montague blenny's was coming out and I fancied a bash at them. Got there mid afternoon, absolutely glorious, sun, no wind, and hardly any one there, well to start with. As me and Mart was chatting, I set me new savage gear sgs2 rod up for some mini bashing and boy that's what I got. Martyn said the Montys was on the inside, but so was Shanny central. It was Shanny's from the off, with a fish nearly every drop, just couldn't get passed them for any thing else and aggressive feckers, the fights they was have trying to get to my hook was like watching a all in MMA match.
Martyn had set up at his usual spot and looked like a human Porcupine, as he had so many rods out, but he had a few fish on the big boy rods, couple doggys, Pollock and a nice 3lb Spotted Ray over the session, he also had a couple of Leopard spotted goby on his light gear which he kept in a bucket, as he gives some of the odder fish to the local aquarium, I went and joined him on the outside and added another Leopard, a small Ballan, tompot and a Pouting, which they wanted a few more of, too the bucket.
A quick call and Lawrence from the Aquarium came down to collect the wee beasties, was a interesting chat with him, he seemed very interested in some the rarer ones I had had lately Brixham way and was thinking of arming Martyn with some bigger buckets to come down and try and get a few of them.
After he left I tried the inside as it was slowly filling again, but still just bloody vicious Shannys, lost count after 50 odd, There was quite a few kids there as well jumping into the rising tide and have to admit it did look quite fun doing that an such a sunny day, so much so I sat down in a puddle I hadn't notice and ended up with a wet arse!!.
After a few more Shannys, grr and it close to 8pm I said to Martyn I was going to pack up, he said he was going to give it another half hour, so I dragged my soggy asrse back to the car and started the long trip home. A very enjoyable day, nowt new but felt good adding a few fish to the local aquarium and getting some sun at the same time.

Well done Bob - great report. Sounds like a pleasant session, well, until you fell in the puddle!
I Always keep an old blanket in the boot for such events! ??

Back