• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Final species session for the AT comp.

Si-fly

Reaction score
Hi all, no posts for a while as I've been abroad, but now back I headed down to Cornwall for a launce... probably the last chance I'll get before the end of March deadline.
It was a tough decision, as I was keen to go to Boscombe, but in the end hoped the odds of success were higher in Cornwall.

I arrived and met up with Bob Bananas...he was already on the Mk, and after a Corbin's Sandeel....a new one for me as well 🤷

Any way I had a quick chat while Bob had a break from the lures, and was pleased to see him get a little Scorp....ah love those critters! Back to the van and grabbed my kit.

I was using a new rod today I won in last year's comp, a 1-7g hollow tip lure rod... something different from my normal solid tip rods. It had the same casting weight but was much crisper and put a lot more action into my mini metal lure. The lure was also new , arrived from china the previous morning , and the smallest I owned so thought would probably be my best bet for a Sandeel!

I chatted with Bob about depts etc and the tip rattled...Def a fish , it bent over ....nice....was it my launce?.....it looked like it and a good one.....please don't come off I said to myself, as minis have a habit of doing that lifting them up the walls 😢

Not today though, it was at my feet and wriggling like crazy. Bob came over and pointed out it was missing the head dot of a launce , and had a black chin!... It was his target, a Corbin's....wow....that would do nicely 😁PXL_20230327_171925499~2.jpg
A good 12" 😃..... sorry it's stiff, was just heading in my freezer there!

A couple more pics to aid ID if others are wondering about the head.PXL_20230326_093556261~3.jpgPXL_20230326_093616500~3.jpg
After a bit Bob also got his Corbin's....well done mate 👍

A few more Corbin's, then i had a play with the Scorps , and managed 5 of the critters before returning to the eels in the hope of a launce.PXL_20230326_140648555~2.jpg
Unfortunately there were no launce, just more Corbin's and a single Garfish.PXL_20230326_184101723~2.jpg
That was it for the day, happy as Larry with my Corbin's 😃

I kipped in the van and made an early start. More Corbin's , and a nice chat to a local lad.
I then tried a heavier lure deep along the bottom...bingo... something different...quite mad really...the size of this crazy fish attacking my lure🤔PXL_20230327_073923254~2.jpg

Feisty bugger ...kept my Pinky's well away 😆

I tried a different spot then, and pretty sure I spotted and caught a little montagu's blenny....but holding it over what I thought was a "safe" flat rock, it dropped off and flapped it's way back to safety ....bugger!
I then had it's mate a tiny shanny, and called it a day.

Cheers Si

Well done.
Corbin's sandeels are more common than people think.
I get a few when feathering for bait when boat fishing out of Beer in Devon.
Every one has been a Corbin's and I've never had a launce there.
Contrary to what the text books say I have never seen the bicuspid teeth in a Corbin's. These are pretty obvious in a launce.

As always, great report & photos Si - well done for adding to the Species hunt. 🎣🎣👍👍

Well done.
Corbin's sandeels are more common than people think.
I get a few when feathering for bait when boat fishing out of Beer in Devon.
Every one has been a Corbin's and I've never had a launce there.
Contrary to what the text books say I have never seen the bicuspid teeth in a Corbin's. These are pretty obvious in a launce.
Nice to know, I'm not a small metal person so most stuff like eels and new for me.

Is it more normal to get Corbin's off a boat?....Bob said they were more deep water fish?....think that's what he said.

Great write up Si, well done not on one but loads a Corbins(y)(y), was good to fish again, I was very glad to catch mine in the end.
They are usually said to be a deeper water fish, but down the South West they do come a lot closer, I bet loads get caught and miss ID'ed.

I did try on the Monday when I could see loads of smaller ones.....managed 1 around 5" and that was it ....strange when you think you will get loads, it's rubbish 😆
Typical!

Yet on the boat sometimes you can pick the buggers up on mackerel feathers when you’re not even trying 🙄

Back