• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Finally hit 40

bananas

Reaction score
Been trying for a bit to break the 40 Species barrier lately, to no avail, well till this morning. The missus car was going in for a service and said she would walk the dog to Goodrington after, I said that ill drive her back from there, she said ok thanks, hang on your going fishing there then!, maybe was the reply, so off I popped this sunny morning, took me gear to tackle some Mullet that are there, and yep they was there, but as soon as I tackled up the buggers took one look at me and swam off!!, hmm, what now, I had seen some small gobies on my last visit and luckily I had some size 20 hooks with me.
A quick retackle and tiny bit a bait in the water, goby interested, goby caught, was a sand one so one for this hunt, moved around a bit and had another sand goby before spotting some fatter buggers, new bit a rag and a short battle eschewed between the fat one and 3 gobies, fat one won and out he came, superb a Dragonet, number 40 for the year, happy days, managed another as well after him.
Trying for a third, the split shot disturbed a small flatty, quick rebait and dropped it where he had reburied himself, hoping the gobies didn't get to it first, didn't have to worry much as the flatty broke cover and was straight on to the bait, then straight up and on the deck. turned out he was a Plaice, not showing his spots much yet but everything else checked him out as one, as I was trying to take some pics and I gets this wet nose in me face!!, oh hello Max, time to go is it, as the other half n dog stood there not very impressed with the tiny flatty in my hand.
At home scoured me ID books to work out what sort a Dragonet it was, and by all accounts Reticulated hits the spot.
Wasnt the Mullet I was hoping for but the little fella got me past the post.

It's an easy spot to fish, first time there a few years back we asked a local who was just packing up what was caught there,

Not much
Flatfish ?
No
Not even a Dab ?
Never seen one.

I'll leave it to you to guess the first fish out.

Most people go for mackerel there, including the locals, tho they get some odd things throughout the year, gurnards, coalies,. Used to be a hot spot for dabs years back, found a dead baby weever the other week when swimming with the dog so msy have a go for them one evening.

Been trying for a bit to break the 40 Species barrier lately, to no avail, well till this morning. The missus car was going in for a service and said she would walk the dog to Goodrington after, I said that ill drive her back from there, she said ok thanks, hang on your going fishing there then!, maybe was the reply, so off I popped this sunny morning, took me gear to tackle some Mullet that are there, and yep they was there, but as soon as I tackled up the buggers took one look at me and swam off!!, hmm, what now, I had seen some small gobies on my last visit and luckily I had some size 20 hooks with me.
A quick retackle and tiny bit a bait in the water, goby interested, goby caught, was a sand one so one for this hunt, moved around a bit and had another sand goby before spotting some fatter buggers, new bit a rag and a short battle eschewed between the fat one and 3 gobies, fat one won and out he came, superb a Dragonet, number 40 for the year, happy days, managed another as well after him.
Trying for a third, the split shot disturbed a small flatty, quick rebait and dropped it where he had reburied himself, hoping the gobies didn't get to it first, didn't have to worry much as the flatty broke cover and was straight on to the bait, then straight up and on the deck. turned out he was a Plaice, not showing his spots much yet but everything else checked him out as one, as I was trying to take some pics and I gets this wet nose in me face!!, oh hello Max, time to go is it, as the other half n dog stood there not very impressed with the tiny flatty in my hand.
At home scoured me ID books to work out what sort a Dragonet it was, and by all accounts Reticulated hits the spot.
Wasnt the Mullet I was hoping for but the little fella got me past the post.
40 species thats a real benchmark, especially as you dont specifically go tiddler fiddling but do rock n beach too.
A remarkable number on what seems to be a tough and unpredictable year.
Epic!.

Back