• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

First outing trip report...

Ladfromtad

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
This is my first trip report on her, for my first beachcasting trip.
Skip to next paragraph for trip report, here is the brief backstory.
I did a LOT of fishing as a young lad, growing up in Cumbria in the 70’s, there wasn’t a lot else to do, (our school was collectively/notoriously crap at football and it rained all the time), fishing was just what we all did, although none of us really had a clue and would generally catch nothing, bar the odd eel, flatties or a clueless trout. It was either fishing the tidal river Kent, or the Kent Estuary with an occasional big trip/treat out on a boat off Barrow in Furness.
One night all my fishing gear got nicked out of my shed and I couldn’t afford to replace it, so that was fishing over…
Fast forward to 2020, I was living and working in Peru. Good/crazy times. Latin American red tape does drive you bonkers after a while, but for general seat-of-your-pants not really knowing what will happen from one day to the next, it was a good spot, until Covid hit South America. Peru was already on its knees and was soon on its arse, complete lockdowns (one person out for essentials, show your ID, military on the streets and curfews. the government even introduced a rule for only blokes allowed out Mon/Weds/Fri. Ladies Tues/Thurs/Sat. Nobody out on a Sunday. So we decided to jump ship and returned to Blighty.
My main passion used to be running (mountains/long distance), but then I copped for Covid, which became long covid, which has buggered my lungs, heart and general wiring.
On the verge of going mad, I started looking for a new hobby that was
a) Cheap
b) Accessible
c) Something the Nipper might like too.

Fishing was the answer!
Back in the day, cheap gear was crap and good gear was expensive.
Most beginners bought an “All Round Starter kit” from Woolworth’s, which were basically a cheap 6ft spinning rod, a cheap reel, some floats, spinners, weights, shot and hooks, (all cheap). These we used for anything and they were generally all round useless at everything!
Nowadays, cheap gear is alright and it does the job (and obviously good gear is more expensive but a whole lot better).
My 8yr old daughter and I started coarse fishing this year and have had a good year, but then a birthday boat trip off Whitby in summer planted a seed and got us thinking and we started looking round for some cheap beachcasting gear. Two very cheap rods and reels from Angling Direct and some other stuff scratched together. The forum has been BRILLIANT for getting advice and feels like a really good community.
So, after a load of life story waffle, here is the trip report 😊

sea1.jpg

TRIP REPORT.
We chose Hornsea as our first trip location obsessing over the (generally crap) forecast, Friday looked the best day. We got some good pointers from Joe at East Coast Tackle and headed to Morrow Avenue, which is right next to the beach and there is a free car park.
We had some frozen lug, squid and some stinking frozen mackerel, fished on a 2-hook flapper rig with a 4oz lead.
(The last time I fished, there were only fixed paternoster rigs, running legers and clumsy metal booms. Nowadays these seems to be a baffling array of rigs, I have a lot to learn!)

First cast for the young ‘un resulted in a dab, followed by a greedy rockling scoffing a bait twice its size, followed by more dab, three whiting and a codling. For a 4-hour stint we were over the moon, as we realistically had not expected to catch anything! All were caught on lug/squid, the mackerel absolutely honked, fresh might have been better. Chucked my rags away, it absolutely wreaked, my van stinks, my clothes stink, I still stink!

Lessons learnt…
- Find out where the high tide mark is and use that as a reference guide for position. We were impersonating the Chuckle Brothers acting out King Canute, constantly retreating.
- Shop around for bait (or just buy it on the day!) I panic bought 4 packs of frozen lug from a reputable bait dealer (the one with the comedy name ) for a whopping £8-per-pack after being led to believe there was a national lugworm drought, on the day we found some at East Coast Tackle for a bargain 6-wraps-for-20-quid.
The £8 lug caught nothing and fell to pieces as soon as you looked at it.
The East Coast Tackle bait got bite after bite after bite!
- Check new gear before leaving home. Our tripod was missing a crucial nut, which meant the bottom cups would not affix. Found it when I got home.

sea2.jpg

Fishing has changed, I have noticed a massive difference in coarse fishing, some good, some not so good. The thing I like about sea fishing (so far and hopefully will continue) is that people are open, friendly and will give advice. (I could not imagine knocking on someone’s carp bivvy and asking them what bait they were using!)
Our first trip was ace, exciting, simple, it felt like we had discovered a well-kept secret, it was just absolutely bloody brilliant fun!
Our cheap gear did the job, the rods seem to have been modelled on cabers/telegraph poles, clumsy and heavy but good enough for beginners. I will start saving for some better gear.
A massive THANK YOU to everyone on the forum for tips, help and advice, to blokes on the beach on the day and a special thank you to Kevin at Fish’n’ Rigs for the top rigs and advice 😊
Already washed/cleaned/packed our gear for next weekend. (Even though I had told the missus that sea fishing would only be a once-a-month affair. You have to take advantage of good tides don’t you!)

p.s. If this hasn’t sent you to sleep, I write an occasional blog, general bobbins with a bit of fishing at ladfromtad.com

Nice one mate, glad it panned out for you and your daughter - great that she’s keen and onboard with the planning too!

I’d say you caught a lot more than most do on their first trip out!

This is my first trip report on her, for my first beachcasting trip.
Skip to next paragraph for trip report, here is the brief backstory.
I did a LOT of fishing as a young lad, growing up in Cumbria in the 70’s, there wasn’t a lot else to do, (our school was collectively/notoriously crap at football and it rained all the time), fishing was just what we all did, although none of us really had a clue and would generally catch nothing, bar the odd eel, flatties or a clueless trout. It was either fishing the tidal river Kent, or the Kent Estuary with an occasional big trip/treat out on a boat off Barrow in Furness.
One night all my fishing gear got nicked out of my shed and I couldn’t afford to replace it, so that was fishing over…
Fast forward to 2020, I was living and working in Peru. Good/crazy times. Latin American red tape does drive you bonkers after a while, but for general seat-of-your-pants not really knowing what will happen from one day to the next, it was a good spot, until Covid hit South America. Peru was already on its knees and was soon on its arse, complete lockdowns (one person out for essentials, show your ID, military on the streets and curfews. the government even introduced a rule for only blokes allowed out Mon/Weds/Fri. Ladies Tues/Thurs/Sat. Nobody out on a Sunday. So we decided to jump ship and returned to Blighty.
My main passion used to be running (mountains/long distance), but then I copped for Covid, which became long covid, which has buggered my lungs, heart and general wiring.
On the verge of going mad, I started looking for a new hobby that was
a) Cheap
b) Accessible
c) Something the Nipper might like too.

Fishing was the answer!
Back in the day, cheap gear was crap and good gear was expensive.
Most beginners bought an “All Round Starter kit” from Woolworth’s, which were basically a cheap 6ft spinning rod, a cheap reel, some floats, spinners, weights, shot and hooks, (all cheap). These we used for anything and they were generally all round useless at everything!
Nowadays, cheap gear is alright and it does the job (and obviously good gear is more expensive but a whole lot better).
My 8yr old daughter and I started coarse fishing this year and have had a good year, but then a birthday boat trip off Whitby in summer planted a seed and got us thinking and we started looking round for some cheap beachcasting gear. Two very cheap rods and reels from Angling Direct and some other stuff scratched together. The forum has been BRILLIANT for getting advice and feels like a really good community.
So, after a load of life story waffle, here is the trip report 😊

View attachment 38180

TRIP REPORT.
We chose Hornsea as our first trip location obsessing over the (generally crap) forecast, Friday looked the best day. We got some good pointers from Joe at East Coast Tackle and headed to Morrow Avenue, which is right next to the beach and there is a free car park.
We had some frozen lug, squid and some stinking frozen mackerel, fished on a 2-hook flapper rig with a 4oz lead.
(The last time I fished, there were only fixed paternoster rigs, running legers and clumsy metal booms. Nowadays these seems to be a baffling array of rigs, I have a lot to learn!)

First cast for the young ‘un resulted in a dab, followed by a greedy rockling scoffing a bait twice its size, followed by more dab, three whiting and a codling. For a 4-hour stint we were over the moon, as we realistically had not expected to catch anything! All were caught on lug/squid, the mackerel absolutely honked, fresh might have been better. Chucked my rags away, it absolutely wreaked, my van stinks, my clothes stink, I still stink!

Lessons learnt…
- Find out where the high tide mark is and use that as a reference guide for position. We were impersonating the Chuckle Brothers acting out King Canute, constantly retreating.
- Shop around for bait (or just buy it on the day!) I panic bought 4 packs of frozen lug from a reputable bait dealer (the one with the comedy name ) for a whopping £8-per-pack after being led to believe there was a national lugworm drought, on the day we found some at East Coast Tackle for a bargain 6-wraps-for-20-quid.
The £8 lug caught nothing and fell to pieces as soon as you looked at it.
The East Coast Tackle bait got bite after bite after bite!
- Check new gear before leaving home. Our tripod was missing a crucial nut, which meant the bottom cups would not affix. Found it when I got home.

View attachment 38181

Fishing has changed, I have noticed a massive difference in coarse fishing, some good, some not so good. The thing I like about sea fishing (so far and hopefully will continue) is that people are open, friendly and will give advice. (I could not imagine knocking on someone’s carp bivvy and asking them what bait they were using!)
Our first trip was ace, exciting, simple, it felt like we had discovered a well-kept secret, it was just absolutely bloody brilliant fun!
Our cheap gear did the job, the rods seem to have been modelled on cabers/telegraph poles, clumsy and heavy but good enough for beginners. I will start saving for some better gear.
A massive THANK YOU to everyone on the forum for tips, help and advice, to blokes on the beach on the day and a special thank you to Kevin at Fish’n’ Rigs for the top rigs and advice 😊
Already washed/cleaned/packed our gear for next weekend. (Even though I had told the missus that sea fishing would only be a once-a-month affair. You have to take advantage of good tides don’t you!)

p.s. If this hasn’t sent you to sleep, I write an occasional blog, general bobbins with a bit of fishing at ladfromtad.com
Great report well done
Espadon

Nice one mate well done great, catches piccys,& write up , hope you realize that your young'un will probably end up out fishing you 90% of the time.😀😀,tight lines for when you go again mate 👍🎣🐟

Bloody good read, and lovely photos TadLad! Well done to you and the little Boss! 🎣🎣👍👍

I had an 'issue' with stinky frozen Mackerel bait last year. It left me and everything with the 'smell from hell' !!
Took Wifey loads of washes over weeks to get the smell out of my clothes.
I could be wrong but I think it is because they are frozen intact with the Guts inside, or maybe not frozen quick enough after being caught.

Personally, I would now sooner pop into Morrisons fish counter or similar, and buy 'fresh' cleaned Mackerel on the way to a mark, or to take home, Vacuum pack & freeze myself. 👍👍

PS - nice blog too!

Well done on a great day out with the young one, and a good read and photos as well.
I have not fished Hornsea North for a fair number of years, but its nice to see its still producing the goods.

David

I’d like to hear more about South American 🤔🤔🤔😂😂😂😂brilliant right up cracking haul gor first try dab and cod dream fishing that bey and yer poppet seems chuffed aswell great stuff ma Bute 👍👍👍

Back