• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast First session of the year...

DJDBazzer

Reaction score
Headed to Fossil Forest last night for my first session of the year, infact, my first session in over 2 weeks thanks to catching Covid on the 23rd December.
I usually get a lot of fishing in over Christmas, with 2 weeks off work, but that went out the window as I had to spend the whole time sat inside feeling absolutely fine... :(

Anyway, arrived late yesterday afternoon in an attempt to avoid the rain. Steve had opted for wellies and spent half the walk on his backside where it was so muddy. We eventually arrived at the mark and managed to set up just in time for a 10 min downpour.
Lovely.....
We were all fishing 2 rods each, 1 at distance and 1 in close.
Bites were thick and fast from the get go, dogs and huss to around the 5lb mark kept us busy for most of the sesh.
Steve lost a 20lb+ eel early on but that didn't seem to dampen his spirits.
We did have a quiet spell towards the top of the tide but this was broken when I hooked into what I thought was a massive lump of kelp.
I couldn't get the weight to the surface no matter what I tried. Steve walked over to see what was going on and could see I'd caught my other line, so he kindly reeled in my other rig and unclipped it. This then enabled me to heave the weight to the surface. It definitely wasn't a lump of a kelp but a big undulate ray. Steve ran over to get the landing device and 5mins later I had this beast next to me on the rocks. Happy days!

20220108_233615.jpg

20220108_194042.jpg

Last edited:
Well done some lovely fish there and cracking pics, we get nothing like that on the north east coast. My plan for sometime this year is to catch a Huss and a ray but I'll have to travel to do it.?

Nice undies Dave! The ray looks good too!

Did you weigh it? Clearly a double I’d say?

Headed to Fossil Forest last night for my first session of the year, infact, my first session in over 2 weeks thanks to catching Covid on the 23rd December.
I usually get a lot of fishing in over Christmas, with 2 weeks off work, but that went out the window as I had to spend the whole time sat inside feeling absolutely fine... :(

Anyway, arrived late yesterday afternoon in an attempt to avoid the rain. Steve had opted for wellies and spent half the walk on his backside where it was so muddy. We eventually arrived at the mark and managed to set up just in time for a 10 min downpour.
Lovely.....
We were all fishing 2 rods each, 1 at distance and 1 in close.
Bites were thick and fast from the get go, dogs and huss to around the 5lb mark kept us busy for most of the sesh.
Steve lost a 20lb+ eel early on but that didn't seem to dampen his spirits.
We did have a quiet spell towards the top of the tide but this was broken when I hooked into what I thought was a massive lump of kelp.
I couldn't get the weight to the surface no matter what I tried. Steve walked over to see what was going on and could see I'd caught my other line, so he kindly reeled in my other rig and unclipped it. This then enabled me to heave the weight to the surface. It definitely wasn't a lump of a kelp but a big undulate ray. Steve ran over to get the landing device and 5mins later I had this beast next to me on the rocks. Happy days!

View attachment 20888

View attachment 20889
Nice work mate that's a lovely Undulate

²Stunning ray love big undies well done bazzer
Cheers matie
Cracking fish mate well done
Cheers mate
Well done some lovely fish there and cracking pics, we get nothing like that on the north east coast. My plan for sometime this year is to catch a Huss and a ray but I'll have to travel to do it.?
Thankyou. Well you'll have to let me know if you head down this way!
Lovely ray what a beauty ?
Love an undie (y)
Lovely flat Dave, top bombing
Cheers mate. About time you join us ;)
Nice undies Dave! The ray looks good too!

Did you weigh it? Clearly a double I’d say?
Haha thanks it's my favourite thong.
I reckon it had to be between 12lb and 14lb although it felt alot heavier in a big sea
If there is a ray to be had, you will get it. Well done boys.
I try :) Cheers mate
Lovely session, Dave. Well done.
Cheers Chris ??
Nice catches mate,great report and piçcys well done ??????
Cheers mate
Nice work mate that's a lovely Undulate
Cheers mate
Cracking report and fish, stonker of a ray(y)(y)
Cheers mate
Impressive session. Well done ???
Shame they aren't always like that haha. Cheers

Back