• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast First Time Fishing Chesil - 9/9 and a 5lb 7oz cod

Merlin 335

Reaction score
I had been planing for a couple of months for a 3 day fishing trip down south to meet up with a friend who has been posted to Plymouth from Faslane with the Navy. We had planned to fish Wednesday afternoon/evening in Plymouth targeting conger and then have a long session at Chesil on Thursday and Friday before I had to set off back home early Saturday morning. Unfortunately due to the strong winds on The Thursday, we only made it Chesil on the Friday.

We had been umming and erring on the drive over from Plymouth where we would fish on Chesil and it came down to deciding between Abbotsbury and Ferrybridge - but the decision was made for us, as after a 45 minute delay to get passed a hedge being cut!! we decide just to fish Abbotsbury. After collecting some bait from the tackle shop at Abbotsbury we drove straight down to the beach car park.

We thought that we would walk towards the dragon teeth to fish, but the first time walking on the shingle soon put paid to that! as being unfit middle aged men we got about half way there and decided enough was enough and would fish in the first available spot!

I set up two rods, one with a 3 hook clip down with 1/0 hooks with a mixture of rag/blow lug and frozen black and the other with a pulley dropper 4/0 pennel baited with a 4 worm frozen black lug sausage. My mate just fished the one rod with a 2 hook flapper with worm baitts, it was about 2pm when all rods were in the water.

No sooner had we cast in, then my mate had a great bite and reeled in a schoolie bass and a codling...what a start (especially after the very hard days fishing on The Tamar the two days previous). I then reeled in a small schoolie bass, my first Chesil fish. It was hard fishing as the strong wind was making bite detection difficult and we decided to leave the rods in for 30 mins and reel in regardless.

On my next cast I had a small codling on the 3 hook rig, but when I went to reel in my pulley dropper, I realised there was some weight to it and some big head shakes - I reeled in a 5lb 7oz cod - I was absolutely buzzing.

The rest of the session was nearly a codling a cast, with one red gurnard and another schoolie making an appearance between them.

All in all it was a great day, we decided to pack up around 7.30pm, as I had to travel back home early Saturday morning, but the wind was making it very difficult to fish. Afterwards we saw that the wind had really dropped down later that night and for Saturday - we were gutted!

We will definitely try for another longer session at Chesil next year!

Well done on the fish . Was at chesil myself with another member on here pete . Fished really well that evening hope its a sign of things to come

For info, if you walk at the back of the bank, the pebbles soon turn to grass ;)

Again big effort on a 3 day fishing trip and some good fish, and a catch up with your mate. Well worth the planning.

Nice one Gareth! Good report & some nice Coddies! ????

Back