• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fish Id help required please

Flipper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
We caught this goby yesterday and wondered if anyone could confirm if it is a Red Mouthed Goby please? I have never caught one before, but, don’t want to tick it off my species list unless 100%.

It could well be a red mouthed, the spots on its dorsal look right, and i take it thats a bit a red on its lip in the photo. Do you have any other pics, the other one it could be is a giant goby.

It could well be a red mouthed, the spots on its dorsal look right, and i take it thats a bit a red on its lip in the photo. Do you have any other pics, the other one it could be is a giant goby.
E8CDE015-A916-42DE-8071-32656DABAD0F.jpeg

Sorry Bananas, this is the best of a bad bunch?‍♂️

Hes a red mouth then, well done mate ??, very jealous here ??

Many thanks. If you go on holiday to kerry, ireland, pm me and I will give you the mark details, we had 10 of them there, so definitely common there.

We caught this goby yesterday and wondered if anyone could confirm if it is a Red Mouthed Goby please? I have never caught one before, but, don’t want to tick it off my species list unless 100%.

Ask the experts at The British Marine Life Study Society on https://www.facebook.com/groups/glaucus

It might be a Red Mouthed Goby or it could be goby with a red mouth, several features are required to 'nail it down' the red mouth is one, it should also have small 'free' fins at the front of the pectoral fin like the rock goby has,

rock goby2.jpg

yours could have them or not depending on how you interpret the photo

but even if it does it could be a reddish rock goby. a species that also has a light coloured fringe to the dorsal fin.

red big.jpg

The British Marine Life Study Society group would be interested to know the area of capture as it would be a new place as they are only recorded in Southern Ireland.

My opinion is that it's a 'maybe'

If it is it is a rare catch and a matter of scientific interest.

Ask the experts at The British Marine Life Study Society on https://www.facebook.com/groups/glaucus

It might be a Red Mouthed Goby or it could be goby with a red mouth, several features are required to 'nail it down' the red mouth is one, it should also have small 'free' fins at the front of the pectoral fin like the rock goby has,

View attachment 27126

yours could have them or not depending on how you interpret the photo

but even if it does it could be a reddish rock goby. a species that also has a light coloured fringe to the dorsal fin.

View attachment 27127

The British Marine Life Study Society group would be interested to know the area of capture as it would be a new place as they are only recorded in Southern Ireland.

My opinion is that it's a 'maybe'

If it is it is a rare catch and a matter of scientific interest.
Thanks for the info, it was caught in Kerry, Ireland and based upon my limited understanding of the species I thought it was a Red Mouth, but, sadly I haven’t got any better photos to assist.

Thanks for the info, it was caught in Kerry, Ireland and based upon my limited understanding of the species I thought it was a Red Mouth, but, sadly I haven’t got any better photos to assist.
Kerry weighs the balance towards it being one, I was thinking it was caught in Devon where they are unknown,
They have been reported as being resident in SW Ireland, at Lough Hyne

I found this pic on reef.com of a red mouthed and the fin colouration does look the same as your fish.
DSC_0332-red-lipped-goby.jpg
But agree with what @cap'nhaddock says to give The British Marine Life Study Society a shout just to make sure.
The ID book I have says that they only come from around southern Ireland, but read up on The British sea fishing site and they say "It is found predominantly around the south west of England, around the Welsh coast and in the waters around the Republic of Ireland " so we should be bagging up on them down here in Devon:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
The only other ive seen reported was by Congerclive on the other site back in 2019, but don't know where he had his one from

Back