• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fishing Portland and the Fleet.

Timmy H

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Her indoors has booked a cheap break for 4 days near the Fleet in April.
She's never been fishing so I'm thinking of letting her have a go float fishing to start so I could do with advice on places, tackle and baits. Most of my fishing is Bristol Channel so I haven't got a clue about the light stuff. I've got a carp rod, a couple of telescopics, a few floats etc and some lures.
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks

Some lures wouldn't go a miss,and may be a few rigs, don't know which ones but someone on here will be able to help you mate,don't be surprised if she indoors out fishes you mate 😃😃

Her indoors has booked a cheap break for 4 days near the Fleet in April.
She's never been fishing so I'm thinking of letting her have a go float fishing to start so I could do with advice on places, tackle and baits. Most of my fishing is Bristol Channel so I haven't got a clue about the light stuff. I've got a carp rod, a couple of telescopics, a few floats etc and some lures.
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks
Carp rod, rag and mak strips, big waggler, west bay.

Portland bill is worth a shot mate. Plenty of marks, but very very snaggy. Can be dodgey when wet. Both piers in Weymouth (stone pier is better) and also as mentioned by @chesilpete… west bay… 20mins down the coast road.

Great, is there anything in the Fleet itself? I'm toying with the idea of taking the kayak as well.

I've fished under the bridge at the entrance to the Fleet, it's a bit weedy but it's easy fishing; there are wrasse and bass and mini species. Float or bottom fish, the telescopics will be fine. ragworm the best bait: you can spin for bass, any fish traveling to or from The Fleet have to come by you there.
It's walking distance from the Weymouth Camping and Caravan Park.
Good bait from Chesil Bait and Tackle up the road towards Weymouth.
There are all sorts of rules for boat fishing in the Fleet http://www.fleetandchesilreserve.org/boats-and-dingies/
I think you need a permit for a kayak in Portland Harbour.

I've fished under the bridge at the entrance to the Fleet, it's a bit weedy but it's easy fishing; there are wrasse and bass and mini species. Float or bottom fish, the telescopics will be fine. ragworm the best bait: you can spin for bass, any fish traveling to or from The Fleet have to come by you there.
It's walking distance from the Weymouth Camping and Caravan Park.
Good bait from Chesil Bait and Tackle up the road towards Weymouth.
There are all sorts of rules for boat fishing in the Fleet http://www.fleetandchesilreserve.org/boats-and-dingies/
I think you need a permit for a kayak in Portland Harbour.
That's just what I need, thanks. We're staying at a place called Littlesea which I understand is right next to the Fleet so somewhere in walking distance would be great. I'll be happy if she gets a few tiddlers.

I'd 2nd westbay or Weymouth piers, just drop small hooks down the sides with rag...or short flick out....loads of mini species... hopefully about by April.

That's just what I need, thanks. We're staying at a place called Littlesea which I understand is right next to the Fleet so somewhere in walking distance would be great. I'll be happy if she gets a few tiddlers.

If you do head down mate. Drop me a PM and will arrange a meet up.

Back