• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fishing Rods?

Beach

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Do mega expensive rods £250+ catch more fish than say a £60 - £80 one?
My view is that the fish are not bothered what gear you use as long as the bait/lure etc attracts them.

My view is that the fish are not bothered what gear you use as long as the bait/lure etc attracts them.
When I started sea fishing in the 1960s, I used to throw out a hand-line, even from the beach. This frequently caught more fish - mainly flounders - than the rod.
However, sometimes distance is important, and with good technique you will probably cast further and more accurately with better gear.
It will also be more pleasant to use, particularly spinning gear where you are holding the rod all the time; lightness, balance and action should be better with more expensive kit.
Having said all that, you should be able to get perfectly fishable rods for £60-£80, especially if you go for quality second-hand ones. PH

May also be lighter and better balanced, hence more pleasant to use on a longer session. Found that with lure rods.
It also should be said, it depends on your budget. Like all toys, the expensive ones tend to perform best, but are not essential to having a good time.

Fishing with a cheap rod is 100% better than not fishing at all.

Also, as most of us have learnt, catching is different from fishing. Catching is down to knowing where the fish are and what will attract them, etc., regardless of how much you spend on tackle.

The simple and honest answer is no, but like all areas in life there is choice to suit al budgets and arguably experience. The more experienced you become the more likely that you are to get the most out of expensive gear.
There is however no substitute for the understanding of the marks you fish, "all the gear and no idea".

Will not catch more but may be better engineered so more able to do the job and less chance of breakage.
Never had a breakage with any of my rods/reels etc. I have been fishing for over 40 years and you learn over time where and when to target certain species. My stuff I use does the job just fine and catch target fish.

Last edited:
easy answer yes wait till you get to the £500+ rods they come with a free bag to carry the fish home
perhaps I should ditch the supermarket bags and get a loan to catch the same amount of fish with a mega expensive rod and stay broke. :p:cry:

Life's all about enjoyment, and I reckon in most cases it's far more enjoyable using quality tackle. Obviously if you can afford it of course. It will catch you more fish if it means you can get that extra distance if the fish aren't close in.

Life's all about enjoyment, and I reckon in most cases it's far more enjoyable using quality tackle. Obviously if you can afford it of course. It will catch you more fish if it means you can get that extra distance if the fish aren't close in.
Only if you have the casting ability.

When i went fly fishing for trout i used a £8.00 plastic reel, but my mate who had loads more to spend on tackle had one of the gold coloured aluminuim fancy dear reels, he never caught more with it!
But if you can afford the dearest i have no problems with others using them.

It`s what ever floats your boat really,how many of us have sat on a beach with all the top gear thumping weights out 100 yards plus when a youngster turns up close by with his grandpas` old gear and pulls out a 5lb bass from his short cast.Fishing rods are a tool just like any other tool,if they do the job you want keep them,if they don`t you change them,will that make a difference,maybe,but we live in hope but having said that it is nice to gaze at your latest Century or ZZiplex with watery eyes and think why shouldn`t i improve.Happy New year to all...Alan

Its like anything in life....a Fiat will get you from a to b and back as will a Rolls Royce....just in a different way. I reckon its the same with fishing rods. A cheap one will get you fish of course. But it may be heavier to use, not such good bite detection and may not last as long as an expensive one. I've oy ever ry used cheap rods until very recently....the more expensive ones I have now(not top of the range!) are certainly more comfortable to use. But do they catch more fish? I doubt it. Horses for courses.

is a daewoo matiz as good as a rolls royce?
No, but they both will get you to the supermarket and back, which is the point. All rods will catch fish if you know what you are doing some are just more enjoyable to use and will perform better if you can get that performance out of them.

"IF" your chosen fish are only at extreme range and you have a good cast.... Then a quality rod designed for distance can make a huge difference!

"IF" your chosen fish are at you feet, a handline will do ?

Quality though doesn't always have a high price tag mind..... Some cheaper stuff can compete, esp if you go 2nd hand.

Back