• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Fishing round up, sunsets, sun rises, shooting stars and explosive demolition!

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Fishing round up, sunsets and sun rises and explosive demolition!

Fishing round up since my weever capture!

More of a list as I have not been taking fishy pictures as they are the usual culprits, apart from one.

I am a member at Calshot and have decided to try and learn it better and try to pick out some rays. Mainly fished there in daytime. You get some nice black bream, had 17 sizeable ones in a short session pre covid, also had smooth hounds, bass on spinners, flounder, mackerel, 5 bearded rockling, mullet and the usual pout and whiting. There are also mini species there, dragonet, black goby and sand smelt. Seen various rays and codling caught there as well. Also had plaice a bit further along.

Calshot 21/10/21. Night session Busy session with plenty of doggies, smoothie pups, conger straps, pout and a black goby, I was advised by @Rockhopper to chuck a pouting back out. I was answering a message on my phone, when the pouting rod was hit hard. Picked it up and it felt like a ray as it was stuck to the bottom. After a while I got it moving, then a battle commenced. It was by far the most powerful fish I have felt and I was wondering what I would do with it when I got it on shore! I need not have worried as after finally starting to make on it, it suddenly went light as it bit through the line. Bugger! Shows there is some big stuff there though, so maybe another day!

24/10/21. I went to Southbourne as some undulates and thornies had been coming out. I have already had a small eye from there and it is a hot spot for them. On arrival I looked over the cliff and it was full on wind in the face and the sea was pretty rough as well. Very bassy, but not what I wanted, as I had loads in January. I did not fancy the conditions much so drove to Milford on Sea hoping to find a little shelter. It was pretty much the same there, so back in the van and off to Calshot. Calshot is very protected in South Westerlies, hardly any wind, much warmer and a flat sea. Doggie fest session though. Nothing more to say except it was a ship rush hour with lots of commercial traffic to watch pass by.

Calshot. 31/10/21. Took a mate with me. He has his own camper van and is keen to use it and has been on a couple of wrasse bashes with me at Portland. He also wanted to fish. The fishing was just part of the session as the idea was to fish all night, if we could, grab a few hours sleep, and then be up to watch the 650ft tall Fawley chimney being demolished with explosives at 7 in the morning! He loved the venue as there was 6 or so ships coming and going including 4 cruise ships. You are very close to them at this venue. Alas as far as the fishing went, all we see was pout and crabs. What we did see though was the best shooting star ever. It was low and slow and we see it pretty much fly from Calshot along to Southampton where it petered out. Earlier I had said to him that when watching your rod tips you sometimes see them.
Grabbed a few hours sleep as 40mph winds and the rain kicked in as was forecast. Up in time to turn the vans round and to watch the chimney come down in the rain. One of those once in a lifetime experiences and it did not disappoint! They brought the main chimney down, then the boiler house. The percussion from the boiler house structure explosives shook the van. An amazing sight and made the while thing worthwhile.
20211107_165734.png
Hopefully the link below gets you to the video

Boscombe Pier. 28/10/21. Evening session as it is open till 11.30 in the summer. I am a member so can fish after then. I did not need to as at 10.40 I got one of my target species and not a common one on this coast, a nice Brill on my baited 9ft ugly stick. They have a turbot look about them, but do not have the tubercules on them and have the white stars around their edge. Also had plaice, smoothie pups,the a bass and strap conger. @cap'nhaddock was with me and had an undulate, a small eye and a sole on his spinning rod.
20211028_094222.jpg
20211028_094408.jpg
Calshot. 3/11/21. With the wife to watch the boat and ship traffic, eat toasties and drink tea. But would you believe it, my rods were in the van and also some worms! I went on the short pier to see what bait fish were around. I could see plenty, but they were not playing , even tried bits of worm on Sabikis. Changed tactics and put on one of my species rigs. Dropped straight down the wooden structure and pretty much straight away had a nice wrasse that put a good bend in my spinning rod. Unhooked and returned and tried the next post and had the same result, just a different colour ballan. Had a good chat with the two guys who had been fishing since 8.30 in the cold Northerly wind and back to the van for my toastie.

West Bay. 4/11/21. The idea was to meet Haddock, fish the East arm pier to see what was about, then move the vehicles to the West side and fish along the prom targetting huss. Tackle graveyard here so just an under rod swing out is required. Lots of chunky pout, wrasse, whiting, conger and doggies between us and one particular thing of interest was a thing with eyes that glowed bright pink in the light of my head lamp. Sorry I really should gave taken a picture of it. It went out on a hook and was not touched. It was a prawn by the way!
20211104_163028.jpg
Finished early, loaded my van and off to Lake Pier at Poole for the night. I was snug as a bug. Top nights kip even though the van windows were frozen over. Got dressed, switched on my diesel hot air heater and down onto the white frosty wooden pier to take sone sunrise pictures. These are some of the best l have captured. Had a few chats with local dog walkers and early holiday makers and back to the van as it was freezing! Opened the side door to be met with the waft of 5kw of hot air blowing at me. Absolute bliss. Made tea and cooked a cheese ham and tomato toastie whilst looking out at the view of Poole Harbour and making my plans for the day.
20211105_071608.jpg
20211105_071715.jpg
Tidied up a bit and headed off in the van to Baiter Park in Poole, which is the opposite end of Poole Quay to the lifting bridge. Lots of parking and a short walk back to the Quay to fish. Set up one ugly stick with the usual species rig and tried to catch whatever was there, which was nothing! Swapped one rod to a set of Sabikis and dropped straight down. Jiggy, jiggy, and nothing! Flicked it out and jigged it back and it got frantic with small herring up to 4 or 5 at a time. Hoped to find a Spratt in amongst them for my hunt, but it was not to be. It was getting embarrasing, so put both rods back to species rigs and moved along a bit. Ended up with herring, sand smelt, long spined sea scorpion, black goby, corkwing and ballan wrasse. Only stayed there for a couple of hours then home.

Only one new species for my hunt, the brill, and now back to mullet and rays. More fishy pictures next time, promise!

Attachments

• 20211104_163028.jpg
    20211104_163028.jpg
    852.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Great report Goaty! Enjoyed reading that! ??

Great report and pictures ?
Good read that chap and some lovely pictures
Great read and photo’s mate, well done.
Great write up and quality pictures.
Some great write ups and stunning photos ?
Cracking report, love those pics ?
Great report & piccys mate ??
Another great write up and read there Keith, you certainly been getting out and about and getting some nice fish too (y) (y)
I've never had a brill. Lovely fish and great pics! Thanks for the report.
Great read and some lovely photo's. Quite a selection of species some of which I would love to catch this year!
Well done Goaty, brilliant report and some lovely pictures

Cracking write up mate, very well done on the different species! Shame about the loss on the pouting rod!

Cracking write up and pics?
Great report Goaty! Enjoyed reading that! ??
Great write up and pics. ?

Thanks to all of you guys. I felt a bit of a fraud as I did not have fish pictures, so really pleased with the all the reactions received and ratings given. Much appreciated.

No need to feel a fraud, i don’t photograph many fish anymore, i cant be assed to take phone out of the case (case lens is scratched) does not mean i did’nt catch the fish.
Just keep doing the reports mate, enjoyable read with or without pic’s (y)

Back