• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fishing the Bristol Channel

Oldbullett

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Anyone here fish the channel? Looking for a mark to fish from i believe you can fish from neat the severn bridge but have no idea where to go

Hi, yes I do though do though not as far up as Severn beach.

This link gives a good run down on the marks but happy to answer any questions if I can

If you fish Severn beach? , take plenty of blow lug, it is without doubt the number 1 bait up there. The tide pull is something else, so have some 7 or 8oz leads at the ready. Short casts will get you more fish as the codling hunt inside the tide line after shrimp. Long casts as the tide is making over the mud, but essentially you are still only fishing 20 or 30 yards behind the waters edge as casting over yards of mud in front of the wall, have to slow the cast to prevent your lead from plugging in the mud. If Severn beach is busy you have the option of new passage close by. Good luck.

If you fish Severn beach? , take plenty of blow lug, it is without doubt the number 1 bait up there. The tide pull is something else, so have some 7 or 8oz leads at the ready. Short casts will get you more fish as the codling hunt inside the tide line after shrimp. Long casts as the tide is making over the mud, but essentially you are still only fishing 20 or 30 yards behind the waters edge as casting over yards of mud in front of the wall, have to slow the cast to prevent your lead from plugging in the mud. If Severn beach is busy you have the option of new passage close by. Good luck.

Couldnt agree more. Had my biggest cod there on the first chuck with a multiplier. 30yards tops but dragged up a 13lb 8oz coddie…..

I had some real crackers in a foot or so of water, amongst the grass with the tops sticking out of the water! 13lb8oz is a lovely fish. I used to prefer the beach up to the left of the wall, was much quieter along there, up to a dozen codling 1.8 to 3lb or so was common, always a 6 to 10lb landed to a lucky angler on good tides, sometimes me other times a friend. Not fished it for around 20 years, but was my closest venue, I expect its changed massively.

I had some real crackers in a foot or so of water, amongst the grass with the tops sticking out of the water! 13lb8oz is a lovely fish. I used to prefer the beach up to the left of the wall, was much quieter along there, up to a dozen codling 1.8 to 3lb or so was common, always a 6 to 10lb landed to a lucky angler on good tides, sometimes me other times a friend. Not fished it for around 20 years, but was my closest venue, I expect its changed massively.

Yeah was great venue many moons ago, i expect i fished when you was fishing there. Most weekends were spent. I’ve not fished it for 10+ years. The about of doubles i’ve seen from there is crazy, but that all died out. The venue is a shadow of what it was. But given the right tide/wind and weather i fully expect more doubles to come from it.

That's one thing the Tanks taught me ..... get out on the mud (but be very, very careful) fish run through there in very shallow water.... but trust me that mud is dangerous - take no chances, take a stick/staff and keep moving!!

The codling are after the shrimp so as soon as there is enough water to cover their backs they are in. in my opinion in the BC we all almost always overcast the fish!!!

Apologies for keeping on, BUT YOU MUST TAKE EVERY precaution if you are going to try going out on the mud, keep to the firmer areas!!

Musky

That's one thing the Tanks taught me ..... get out on the mud (but be very, very careful) fish run through there in very shallow water.... but trust me that mud is dangerous - take no chances, take a stick/staff and keep moving!!

The codling are after the shrimp so as soon as there is enough water to cover their backs they are in. in my opinion in the BC we all almost always overcast the fish!!!

Apologies for keeping on, BUT YOU MUST TAKE EVERY precaution if you are going to try going out on the mud, keep to the firmer areas!!

Musky

Wise words from a bloke i hold in vey high regard ans respect. Never take the mud for granted. Even the very best get caught out.
But as people have said about…. The fish travel close in. I for one am guilty of casting to far.
All the advice above will set you well on your way to catching a few.

In the upper channel there are many stories of 'fluffed' casts that suddenly have a good fish on.......but do I ever lob one close in.... hmmm, maybe when I'm after sole but not as a general rule....:rolleyes:
Cheers all,
Musky

PS JR you flatter me:)

Back