• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fishing the surf

nearly70ty

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hi gents
I often fish the surf beaches of the Gower South Wales. I usually fish with two hook flappers with snoods about 14 ins long. Recently I've experimented with the top snoods spaced out more and about 2 ft long, and I've noticed the fish coming on the longer snood. I'm toying with an even longer snood but I'm concerned that its going to tangle, Would it be worth going for a single snood of 4 ft, and should it be say 4 ft above the lead or low down close to the weight, Any thoughts or experience you want to share

I take it your fishing in the surf If so longer snoods can tangle easier. Not so bad if there is a lateral tide flow. Best thing though is gi\/e it a try

Cheers joe what are you fishing for it's mostly bass and flounders for me
Mostly plaice with that rig but I do use 36 inch snoods on loop rigs for chisel but like valley said it it might tangle if messy tide I tend to use a lot shorter rigs if rough and coloured but then I whouldnt target plaice in rough seas but the loop on chisels for gurnard bream red mullet and any thing else all seem happy to snag it

Cheers again for the reply, there's not much lateral tide there its just a messy surf if we're lucky lol

I dont fish there but fish sidan and pendine a lot for flats etc and my standard rig is a 2 up 1 down with 32 inch snoods. 0.3mm fluro. Doesnt tangle. If theres a bigger surf going may go down to 24 inch. Longest you can get away with is best I Find. 2 or 3 oz rolling lead also. Get rid of beads etc on snoods just a sequin and stop.

I dont fish there but fish sidan and pendine a lot for flats etc and my standard rig is a 2 up 1 down with 32 inch snoods. 0.3mm fluro. Doesnt tangle. If theres a bigger surf going may go down to 24 inch. Longest you can get away with is best I Find. 2 or 3 oz rolling lead also. Get rid of beads etc on snoods just a sequin and stop.
Thanks for that I tend to use two hooks as three is a bit of a bait muncher, I use two rods so four baits gives me options and plenty of scope to experiment, but it's always good to get a handle on other peoples thoughts and experiences

Mostly plaice with that rig but I do use 36 inch snoods on loop rigs for chisel but like valley said it it might tangle if messy tide I tend to use a lot shorter rigs if rough and coloured but then I whouldnt target plaice in rough seas but the loop on chisels for gurnard bream red mullet and any thing else all seem happy to snag it
Interesting thought that..I often fish for flounders in windy surf conditions..thinking that the heaviest surf stirs up more food for the fish..but I have yet to catch in such conditions..is my thought process wrong mate..?

I often found it better to fish for flat ties once it calms down after it’s cut it up rough pal, the days immediately after a good wind/wave action when there’s still some colour in the water but your not having to cling to your brolly ribs always fished better for flatties then during a raging surf.

20210515_072940.jpg
Exhibit A..when I would normally fish.
20210516_074653.jpg
Exhibit B..how it looks today..
Any tips would be much appreciated.

View attachment 9403
View attachment 9404
Flatties like calm clear weather mainly sight feeders that’s why lots bling there rigs not to say you won’t catch them when churned up I’ve had plaice when waters chocolate but it’s rare far better on calm days with good visibility IMO mate

View attachment 9403
View attachment 9404
First photo looks perfect for a spot of bass fishing mate! My inexperienced approach would be to lob half a bluey or a double squid bait on some big hooks into that surf, I wouldn't cast far, 10 to 30yards ISH, mix it up and see what you can find.

I've had a 7lb 5oz bass, which is my current best bass, on half a bluey just along a sea defence edge, by some boulders, 15 to 20 yards out at most, I've also had 4 to 5lb bass around 10 to 15 yards from the waters edge. Very satisfying when it all comes together! (Rarely).... I'm in the BC though.
So bass show now and again, but they aren't as prolific as they are on the south coast for example.

For flatties I'd try it a little calmer, I've had a few decent flounder my way, no sole yet, but a mate of mine who fishes only for sole once they are in prefers bigger tides and calm weather.

Flatties like calm clear weather mainly sight feeders that’s why lots bling there rigs not to say you won’t catch them when churned up I’ve had plaice when waters chocolate but it’s rare far better on calm days with good visibility IMO mate
Not sure about flatties being mainly sight feeders, I think it depends on location. catches of dab or flounder don't go down in the dark. My local estuary is always coloured and hold a good head of plaice as well although you rarely get one at night.

Not sure about flatties being mainly sight feeders, I think it depends on location. catches of dab or flounder don't go down in the dark. My local estuary is always coloured and hold a good head of plaice as well although you rarely get one at night.
We often find the best plaice come in right at dusk and have see plenty caught in dark guess people don’t target them at night much plus they have contend with dogs and pout

Back