• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fishing the surf

We often find the best plaice come in right at dusk and have see plenty caught in dark guess people don’t target them at night much plus they have contend with dogs and pout
when I am sole netting the plaice are coughing up two inch sandeels!! Worth a thought!

We often find the best plaice come in right at dusk and have see plenty caught in dark guess people don’t target them at night much plus they have contend with dogs and pout
It's a strange old world. No dogs or pout on my plaice mark, not known of any being caught there in 30 odd years. Whiting are a pain all year around though

They plaice I caught the other week were full of tiny sandeels and tiny little clams were all taken on rag but have herd of plaice being caught on Sandwell before
It's always seed mussels and tiny crab by me along with shrimp later in the year

Nope..no doggies or whiting either. Bass are as rare as rocking horse poo...flounder..small to big..turbos..but small..less than 8 oz..Pollack sub 4 oz..coalies..cod..congers..ling in the deeper water.
Wot size do the ling and conger go to mate

I always used just a running paternoster on proper surf beaches like Rhossili. About a 2 ft lead link and 12" - 18 " snood. Always hold the rod cos bites from the bass are very fast and this is not a good self hooking rig. 2-3 ounce rolling or grip lead depending on conditions.

Thanks for all the replies, definitely food for thought. Dabs turn upon the surf beach I fish particularly after it's calming down after a blow

Back