• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Fishing, what a blast!

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Not posted for a while, but have been getting out.

Venue was Studland which is on the entrance to Poole Harbour. Main target was Red Mullet.

Dug 70 lug the morning before and had rag from Poingdestres.

It is a 90 min journey, but added another hour to that with a vehicle fire on the way. The car had been cleared, but the police had a police car blocking one lane on the A31 which caused all the hold ups. Seen that a few times on that road. Just bog off for coffeee and donuts and let us get going, dont make things worse!

Arrived at 5 to find the beach, as expected, still busy with families. No problem, sat in the van and had my tea until Haddock arrived. Told him it was still too busy, but the beach West was clear, but cordoned off by the Coastguard. A bit of time on Google let us know it was ordnance found on the beach. Not an uncommon find as they did D Day practice there. Decided to play the innocent and found a way through. Started to set up and had cast one rod, when one of the Coastguard guys moved us on. Cant complain as he is doing his job, so we moved. I was cheeky and asked when they were going home and he said we are staying as they were doing a controlled explosion at low tide. Smashing place to fish with the late light on Old Harry Rocks.
20220803_185644.jpg
The tally started with a brace of small bass and the session was busy enough I suppose, but no new species for the hunt. Scores on the doors for me were. 6 x bass. 1 x common smoothie. 1 x starry smoothie. Pout and strap congers. One of the smoothies did not look happy!
20220804_082204.jpg
Knowing about the ordnance makes you think twice when ramming the sand spike into the beach!

Spent the night in the van, well 3 hours, on the hill overlooking Poole Harbour. Its a stunning view to wake up to.
20220804_064111.jpg
Corfe Castle is on the way out. Like to see the steam train go over that bridge with the castle in the background.
20220804_081937.jpg
Next picture is the shell in question. Not my picture.
20220805_091258.png
This is the controlled explosion. Our original fishing spot was where the photographer was stood! Not my picture.
20220804_140055.png
Round up.

Fished Swanage Pier, after hours, a few times lately.

The last time 21/07/22 I had lots of pollack. Mostly tiny, but this one was better.
20220728_210646.jpg
Ballan and corkwing wrasse, black bream and strap congers. Lots of sand smelt and a Tompot.

A chunky old pout, that was causing excitement as it looked like a codling in the dark lifting it up onto the pier!
20220728_230525.jpg
And the suprise catch, what the hell is this, it feels different on the rod a lobster!
20220729_000237.jpg
Slept in the van on the front. This was the view from my bed in the morning before coming home.
20220729_070612.jpg

Calshot.
Plenty of black bream. I was catching, gutting and giving them to people for their tea and took some home.

Boscombe Pier.
Was getting a scad a cast on Sabikis. Stopped at 8 or so as I was giving them away anyway.

Good luck if you get out.

Last edited:
Fabulous report & photos Goatee! Huge mix of species on your travels. ?? (y)(y)

Great report mate, love the pics too. (y)

Ian.

Fantastic bit of variety there GB in stunning scenery. What a blast!
Thanks. Sometimes l dont think l have much to report until l start writing. When l wake in the van, to the views in the pictures, it makes me feel glad to be alive. A night in the van turns a session into a mini adventure.

Fabulous report & photos Goatee! Huge mix of species on your travels. ?? (y)(y)
Thanks. Lots of fish and lots of species but no new ones! Still Got to enjoy "Just " fishing which is easier with the views and a few unexpected things turning up like lobsters and bombs!

Back